UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2014, 8:04 am   #1
jsbhavsar
Pentode

Default Radio sets used by the Royals?

I see lot of commercial radio sets being discussed on the forums; some were really well made in their time between 1940s to 1970s.

Does anyone know or have any reference about which radio sets that were owned by the Royal houses of UK and Europe?
Eg. The Radio set make model used in the Buckingham Palace by the royal family? Some other radio sets used by Royal families in Germany, Austria, France etc?

Any magazine carrying any reference to this part, what did they buy and what did they use?
Old 9th Sep 2014, 8:19 am   #2
Station X

Default Re: Radio sets used by the Royals

By the time radio broadcasting began in the early 1920's the royal families of Germany, Austria and France were no more. The French royal family ceased to exist at the time of the revolution in 1789.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 9:40 am   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

There's sure to be knowledge of this point somewhere among the forum member's eclectic mental data-base but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a combination of expected patriotism by royals and successful sleeve-tugging by urbane and suitably connected marketing men, rather than strict technical consideration. Thus, I'd expect a few posh B + O sets in the Danish royal premises, up-market Philips for the Dutch royals and maybe Tandbergs in Norway. The Roberts company had a royal warrant from the British monarchy, but those with an interest might argue that Hackers were often better.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 10:32 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Pure guess based on styling and appeal, I'd say that in the 30s the Royals of Britain may well have had HMV sets.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 10:46 am   #5
Station X

You can search for Royal Warrant Holders here, but it only seems to cover recent warrants:-

http://www.royalwarrant.org/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 11:06 am   #6
Michael.N.
Pentode

I'm pretty sure my Roberts transistor sets have the Royal stamp/crest on them - circa 1980.
In fact Roberts are indeed listed on that Royal warranty site. No HMV though. No Leak, Quad or Rogers! (but probably too ancient) but at least Garrard are listed. Garrard the jewellers - from which Garrard the turntable people originated, so I'm led to believe.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 11:15 am   #7
paulsherwin

The British Royals have used Roberts portables for many years. There is a picture of the young Princess Elizabeth using a Roberts valve portable in the late 30s, and a 1990s photo of the Queen's breakfast table showing a small Roberts portable (presumably a badged Sangean).

I think Dynatron had a Royal Warrant at one time.

Companies apply for a Royal Warrant if they want to use this for marketing purposes, and most of the stuff used by the Royals won't be from warranted companies.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 11:37 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Dynatron certainly had the Royal Warrant in the 1960s and early 1970s.

I've always wondered what became of their obsolete equipment? Was it thrown away, put in a cellar, or given away to employees etc? If the latter, I wonder whether any of it ever turns up for sale to the general public?

Nick.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 11:43 am   #9
jsbhavsar
Pentode

So what I may interpret is that none of the well known Royal families in UK and Europe bought the typical multi-band Bush, Murphy, Pye, Grundig, Saba, Telefunken, Nordmende tube radio sets for their use.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 11:59 am   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Radio sets used by the Royals?

I'm not sure if that's true. It's just that the information was not widely publicised.

However, one occasionally comes across references to particular sets the Royals owned, and it would be nice if members could post any they encounter in this thread.

N.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 12:00 pm   #11
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

I am sure I have seen a legend on a B&O claiming to be a supplier to the Danish Royal Household. I have both Roberts and Hacker radios with Royal Warrants. The Hacker situation is interesting because I understand that many of the sets do not display the warrant because the company changed its name before it had been supplying continuously for the required period.

If this is the case then other companies not displaying the Royal Warrant could also have been supplying radios. Examination of press photographs may show this. I would be surprised if the British Royal Family had not used HMV radiograms the 1930s. They were after all well known makers of radiograms at the time. I do not recall seeing any photographs to support this though. Similarly it would be surprising if the Dutch Royal Family did not use Philips radios.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 12:34 pm   #12
electrogram
Heptode

I have an HMV RG which says on the logo 'By Appointment: Suppliers of Gramophones, Records, Radio and Television Apparatus to the Late King George VI
Old 9th Sep 2014, 1:37 pm   #13
greenstar
Octode

There must be photographs/ films of the royals with radios in the background. I must admit, though, that in various visits to country houses open to the public old radios have not been very evident. I wonder if this is because they always had the latest kit, and sets became out of date too quickly to have enough antiquarian interest to be kept. I bet they found other homes.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 1:55 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

I've a feeling that there was also a HMV pre-war tele that the Royal family had.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 2:25 pm   #15
jsbhavsar
Pentode

My bet is that the Royal activity was beyond reach of general public and media that it hardly got covered and reported. Eg. It would be very difficult for me to find out the make and model of the tube radio that India's first prime minister used in his official residence. So much so, I dont even know if he had one installed one for his use though I am sure he must be having one.
Old 9th Sep 2014, 2:35 pm   #16

And found in 'The Setmakers'... (a present from my to be wife Dec. '91, the book, not the radio)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	royal-radio.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	97332  

Last edited by Guest; 9th Sep 2014 at 2:37 pm. Reason: A bit of context

Old 9th Sep 2014, 3:32 pm   #17
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbhavsar View Post
My bet is that the Royal activity was beyond reach of general public and media that it hardly got covered and reported.
You are right, the royal family's private residences are exactly that - private - so there is no way anyone would know about these things unless the royals agreed to some documentary being made (such as 1969's Royal Family) or if information or photos were leaked by a disloyal employee. I think the photo I mentioned in #7 was taken by an employee and sold to a magazine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Family_(documentary)
Old 9th Sep 2014, 3:33 pm   #18
PaulE27
Pentode

It's was reported a long time ago that Prince Charles had a Linn hi fi system. I wonder if he has had to solder a new battery in the preamp, as I have just done?
Old 9th Sep 2014, 5:09 pm   #19
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In times past while driving a club-station I had a QSO on 14MHz with King Hussein of Jordan [who held the callsign JY1].

Alas he was the focus of a concerted prefix-seeker pileup and so we didn't get to discuss details of what radio he was using. And I wasn't a member of any QSL-bureau either....
Old 9th Sep 2014, 6:22 pm   #20
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Dynatron certainly had the Royal Warrant, and when they became part of Philips, Dynatron sets were still supplied to royalty, not just in their homes (palaces) but also for special events, such as race meetings etc.
When colour came in, a popular model to supply for such events was the Dynatron (about 18" from memory) with a wired remote control. (I am sure someone who worked with TV will know the model.)
I should add, specially selected sets.
Closed Thread