UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2016, 8:10 pm   #141
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips B3G63A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
Tubular ceramic capacitor, IF shunt? Unlikely to be faulty.
Yes quite right. If you look around the set, you'll find other similar ones (there is a smaller one showing in your picture), some green, some beige... maybe even the odd red one. I don't think the colour was significant. Good ceramic caps... never seemed to give any problems.
Old 11th Mar 2016, 1:54 pm   #142
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetrodyne View Post
If you want to reduce the treble response you could try shunting a small value capacitor across C54 fixed, and a similar capacitor across C56 to give variable control then fit a suitable single component in their place when a satisfactory audio is found, (shunt means across a component in parallel). Do not touch C61, as Boater Sam says, it is very unlikely to be faulty it is a pF value to filter any IF carrier from the audio.
Thanks for your response - looking at the circuit diagram I note that C54 and C56 appear (in my mind) to be associated with the Volume control R27?
Old 11th Mar 2016, 7:21 pm   #143
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes they are... part of the 'loudness' compensation. Popular with continental sets, it compensates for the non-linearity of the human ear with regard to low frequency notes. As volume is reduced, low frequency notes become less audible so the 'loudness' circuit (a Philips term) increases the bass slightly as volume is reduced. Most sets with a tapped volume control work this way.
Old 12th Mar 2016, 12:05 pm   #144
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks for the excellent explanation Sideband -I'm very familiar with the "non-linearity of the human ear with regard to low frequency notes" due to my experiences with modern high end hi-fi systems. Need to do more background reading on sets of this era.

If I were to shunt "a small value capacitor across C54 fixed, and a similar capacitor across C56" as suggested by Hetrodyne then what values/types would be recommended.

The weather is still to cold and damp to tackle any cabinet spray painting this weekend...
Old 17th Mar 2016, 8:19 pm   #145
DonaldStott
Octode

Another quick question about the speaker in this set which is bit fragile?

The Trader Sheet shows this as L25 with a value of 3Ω - however I've attached a picture of the actual value stamped on the speaker which clearly shows 5Ω.

Anyone have any knowledge of these particular speakers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160317_183309.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	121630  
Old 17th Mar 2016, 8:55 pm   #146
paulsherwin

The difference isn't significant. 3 ohm speakers were standard during the valve era, but Philips did use some odd values, including 5 ohm.
Old 18th Mar 2016, 12:18 pm   #147
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks again Paul - good old Philips never ceases to keep us amused, even today!

I've possibly sourced a suitable 8 ohm speaker and was wondering if there would be any real issues with that or would I need to consider connecting something like this: -

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/audio-...rmers/2106475/
Old 18th Mar 2016, 12:23 pm   #148
paulsherwin

No, 8 ohm will be OK too.
Old 18th Mar 2016, 12:24 pm   #149
Nuvistor
Dekatron

If you have an 8 ohm that fits I would use it, I would not be buying matching transformers.
Frank
Old 18th Mar 2016, 3:42 pm   #150
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Hi Donald,
regarding the above - what output you gain in accuracy of impedance matching, you may lose in transformer losses.
All transformers are inefficient, and as Frank says, dont bother, - just fit it!.Tony
Old 25th May 2016, 1:55 pm   #151
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldStott View Post
If I were to shunt "a small value capacitor across C54 fixed, and a similar capacitor across C56" as suggested by Hetrodyne then what values/types would be recommended.
While looking back over this Thread as I am close to final assembly in the next few weeks (waiting for the paint to dry and harden) I noticed that I hadn't actually tackled the treble brightness.

Hetrodyne had recommended "If you want to reduce the treble response you could try shunting a small value capacitor across C54 fixed, and a similar capacitor across C56 to give variable control then fit a suitable single component in their place when a satisfactory audio is found..." but I'm not sure what value or type of capacitors to try?
Old 25th May 2016, 5:09 pm   #152
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

On a (typically Philips) 5 ohm secondary, the 8 ohm LS will be fine. If you do notice anything there will be a slight reduction in output as compared to the previous volume setting i.e. you may just need to turn it up a bit. Edward
Old 25th May 2016, 5:15 pm   #153
GeoffK
Heptode

Going over the circuit again, C54 is 33pF part of the volume loudness circuit, and C56 the grid coupling capacitor so should be left alone. To give an overall slight cut in the top end a capacitor of around 0.001uF could be tried across the top end of the tone control R31 to chassis, a low voltage one will be alright, assuming C59 the tone control capacitor is actually working. What was actually wrong with the original speaker.
Old 25th May 2016, 10:50 pm   #154
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Hetrodyne for the additional information - I'll try and locate R31 and C59 but may get back to you to ensure I'm making the right connections.

The original speaker had seen better days! The paper cone was very fragile and the sound quality was quite brittle. Replaced it with an 8 ohm 6½" diameter Monacor speaker from Wilmslow Audio.

What a difference it made to the sound quality. The brittle, over-bright sound from the old speaker has disappeared and we have tons more detail, deeper bass and an overall better response at all volumes. Can't complain though as the old speaker has seen 60 years of service!
Old 27th May 2016, 11:06 am   #155
DonaldStott
Octode

Just a quick update as I'd forgotten that C59 was one of the Philips black pitch capacitors and has therefore been replaced with a modern equivalent - so that's working fine.

Trader Service Sheet 1374 clearly shows the location of R31 (the Tone control) and adjusted by the innermost spindle: -

Name:	Tone_Control.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	125070

It is clear, however, that in my Radio, the innermost spindle is the Volume Control while the outermost spindle is the Tone control - curious??

This labelling is replicated in the underside schematic for the Radio: -

Name:	Tone_Control_2.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	125071

Is this just a simple typo on the Trader Sheet, albeit twice, or is there something else going on here??
Old 27th May 2016, 11:27 am   #156
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Trader sheets did have mistakes in them, it could just be a mistake.
Old 27th May 2016, 11:35 am   #157
ms660
Dekatron

I'm looking at a non Trader manual, volume inner, tone outer, on/off by a switch on the main push switch bank and not combined with the volume control as shown in the Trader sheet.

Lawrence.
Old 27th May 2016, 11:46 am   #158
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Trader sheets did have mistakes in them, it could just be a mistake.
Appreciate that, thanks - just want to make sure before I start adding a capacitor to the Tone control in an attempt to reduce the "brightness"!

Looking at the Tone control part of the circuit diagram, I've replaced C59 and C60 while C61 is a Ceramic Capacitor that should be o.k.

Name:	Tone_Control_3.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	125074

Hetrodyne has suggested " ..a capacitor of around 0.001uF could be tried across the top end of the tone control R31 to chassis" - not sure where the connections should be?
Old 27th May 2016, 11:51 am   #159
ms660
Dekatron

Connect the suggested 0.001uf across C61 on the Trader sheet.

Lawrence.
Old 27th May 2016, 12:03 pm   #160
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Lawrence for your quick response - will do...

Last question, honest - 0.001uF 100V Mylar Film Capacitor OR 0.001uF 630V Axial Polyester 10% Tolerance Capacitor

Last edited by DonaldStott; 27th May 2016 at 12:20 pm.
Closed Thread