UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2014, 3:14 pm   #1
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

Default TR82C chassis removal

I purchased this radio last week and I want to remove the chassis.

I think someone has put the push rod extension on the long wave button back in the wrong way round, see pic 1.
I also want to give the case a good clean.

I wonder could anyone kindly mark on pic 1 the four screws for removal; I think the top ones are the two larger headed screws but I'm not sure of the lower two?
Also in pic 2 I have marked the centre button but do I have to remove the Perspex and the chrome trim as well?

Any help greatly appreciated or any comments.

Thank you,

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	99870   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	99871  
Old 8th Nov 2014, 6:01 pm   #2
pepmin 1
Pentode

Default Re: TR82C chassis removal

Hi. There are four screws to remove. The tuning dial has to be removed as well and there are threads on this site with hints on how to do that. You need to be careful and rock the the dial back and forth keeping a steady but gentle pull on the dial. You could use a piece of string or shoelace behind the dial for a more even pull ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tr82c.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	99882  
Old 8th Nov 2014, 6:16 pm   #3
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for marking the screws pepmin 1 and for the other info. Andy
Old 8th Nov 2014, 6:19 pm   #4
SteveCG
Nonode

... also don't forget to remove the tuning pointer before trying to remove the chassis...

It is a push fit - but be gentle !
Old 8th Nov 2014, 6:35 pm   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

The picture is not very clear but I'm not sure the tuning dial is original. It may affect the way it comes off.

David
Old 8th Nov 2014, 7:14 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

That was well spotted David!

It looks a good match, but the original dial looks like the one below. Pedants will say that it's not actually the 'dial' - the dial is the shiny red disc with the station names on it, but we all know what's meant by 'dial' in this context - the large transparent tuning knob. They often get broken and even intact ones go 'foggy' with age - probably due to UV.

As has been said, two pieces of string threaded behind the tuning knob around the centre shaft is the safest way to remove the large transparent knob as the string pulls at four points around the edge as shown below. Lots of these knobs have had the central push-on boss snapped off through bodgers trying to prise off the knob with a couple of screwdrivers under the edge of the rim, also damaging the chrome surround into the bargain. (They walk among us).

The last pic shows the tuning pointer removed, which can usually be pulled off with fingers.

Good luck with the restoration Andy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bush TR82C Tuning Knob.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	99885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush TR82C Tuning KnobRemoval.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	99886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bush TR82C pointer removed.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	99887  
Old 8th Nov 2014, 7:37 pm   #7
mark pirate
Dekatron

If your tuning knob is stuck fast, it can be removed by taking out the chassis screws and pulling the chassis toward you.
I have done this trick a few times with no damage to the knob.

Mark
Old 8th Nov 2014, 8:38 pm   #8
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Looking at Andy's dial I think it may be from a later repo radio TR82/97 Are they also a push on dial? Is the centre "Boss" white or clear?

John.
Old 8th Nov 2014, 9:18 pm   #9
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the other replies guys and thanks David for the 3 pics very explanatory, I will have to look for an original dial, I have one of the repros John that some one bought my wife and on that one you actually tune the radio from the outer part of the dial as opposed to the central part like the originals and the repro I have has the serrated outer edge like the one David shows as an original, I will sort a pic out for the morning. Andy
Old 8th Nov 2014, 9:59 pm   #10
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

When new ALL tr82 & lookalikes tune from the outside of the large Perspex dial. Most are direct onto the TC. I believe the TR82/97 has a cord drive, but tunes same as the TR82B.

John.
Old 9th Nov 2014, 1:14 am   #11
gary_crutchley
Heptode

I could be wrong, but the chrome knob looks like those on the modern reproduction TR82/97 sets. My TR82C which dates from 1961 has the same knob as the one David G4EBT showed in his image above.

My Perspex tuning knob was a little cloudy when I received the set, when I removed it I found it was less cloudy than it looked on the set but the red tuning dial was very dusty indeed. I cleaned the dial, then spent some time polishing the Perspex component with Brasso, now it is as good as new!
Old 10th Nov 2014, 2:19 pm   #12
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

Has anyone tried using the tuning dial from a repro set on an original?

Measurements are pretty much the same just not sure about the central parts.

Andy
Old 10th Nov 2014, 10:17 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

It's the "central parts" that are wrong.

People have chopped-out the boss from a damaged original and Araldited it on to part of a repro dial with some success, I gather.

I thought that this was what you might have, going from the pic.

Nick.
Old 11th Nov 2014, 12:51 am   #14
marconi_pete
Hexode

This may explain why the dial is more difficult to remove. I'm sure the repro dials have a slightly different sized hole on the back for the fitting of tuning spindle. Either the back has been modified to fit as well or it may have been alradited like the boss on the front of the knob. (Hopefully not.)
Old 11th Nov 2014, 1:22 am   #15
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

I haven't tried to remove it yet but the central Perspex is just a flat circular disc and the chrome cap is on a large central boss, hopefully not glued.

I will try to remove in a day or two and see what I have. Thanks for all replies. I may just have to see if I can find a totally knackered original radio with a decent tuning dial very very cheap.

I do prefer things original but my fault for not knowing enough.
Old 11th Nov 2014, 2:13 pm   #16
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry to go on but am I right in assuming that when removed the actual tuning dial is just one piece with a chrome or brass cap and then there is the pointer, is it just those two pieces that would come off to allow chassis to be removed, I only ask because the way mine is I cant properly see what parts are what. I did take the chrome centre off this morning to see how it was fixed but that was just a flat chrome disc glued on, it only took my thumb nail to remove it. I must also thank you knowledgeable people because thanks to your replies and my finding out this dial was home made I got a £14.00 refund on my price.
Old 11th Nov 2014, 4:02 pm   #17
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

On the originals, the chrome centre disc is as you describe, i.e. nothing more than cosmetic and glued on.

The transparent bit is a one-piece moulding comprising a round "window" (which protects the pointer and red dial with the station details on it), a knurled edge (which is grasped and rotated to tune the set), and a split-boss supplemented by a spring clip (which attaches everything to the tuning cap's D-shaped spindle).

Once that's been pulled off, you have access to the pointer - a shaped piece of steel painted red which indicates which station you're tuned to. This also pulls off, and after this is done, the chassis can be removed.

Then you're left with the metallic red, screenprinted station dial, which is a thin disc of aluminium glued to the set's case. This is best left in place, but treated carefully to avoid damage.

Someone will take you some pictures, I'm sure.

Well done one your £14 refund, which seems quite generous to me.
Old 11th Nov 2014, 4:08 pm   #18
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Here are some excellent pics found on one of the other UK-based vintage radio sites.

This is what the centre of an original looks like, viewed from the side that's normally lying against the set: http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/fo...t.php?aid=9499

And there's a very good thread on safe removal here (post 16 onwards): http://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/fo...id=1558&page=2

The "pushing from the inside" trick has worked for me in the past.

Nick.
Old 11th Nov 2014, 5:12 pm   #19
andycapp
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the further replies guys, and for the pic references Nick. All very helpful. I have put a couple of pics of mine on below from the side, this is what I have after removing the chrome disc. The only safe way I can think of to remove this, not knowing how it is fixed is to drill out the top centre with a thin drill bit on a slow speed and hopefully I will be able to see what is inside. I think the size of refund given Nick was because of the description and obviously in the light of this dial being home made it didn't live up to it. thanks again Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	99998   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	99999  
Old 11th Nov 2014, 5:21 pm   #20
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That confirms your dial/knob is nothing like the original at all. The edges aren't knurled and there appears to be a silver coloured knob stuck onto its centre as well.

Have you tried pushing from the inside as per the second link in post 18?

Alternatively, think again, and choose to leave the cobbled-together knob well alone until you've sourced a genuine replacement. It does work, after all.

Nick.
Closed Thread