UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 6th Nov 2010, 12:45 am   #1
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Default Recolouring ivory "bakelite"

Sorry, can't remember the correct name for the material . . . ?Urea Formaldehyde?

Anyway, I just bought an ivory 300 series 'phone and it's very white, especially noticeable when next to my ivory 328. This is only on the outside of the case, it appears to have been badly bleached as there is some powdery residue.

Does anyone have any tips for restoring colour or is it a lost cause?
Old 6th Nov 2010, 10:35 am   #2
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Recolouring ivory "bakelite"

I wonder whether some are white and others Ivory?
Is it shiny? Have you tried burnishing it with T cut or polishing paste, burnishing cream, brasso?
Old 7th Nov 2010, 11:34 pm   #3
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Haven't tried yet to be honest, haven't had time. I'll try and have a go before I go on holiday on Friday.
Old 8th Nov 2010, 1:49 am   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, it's Urea Formaldehyde.

Is the apparently white instrument a genuine GPO item or is it an ITI offering? The Indian 'ivory' telephone has a tendency to appear white or, perhaps more precisely, an off-white colour.

Indian, GPO or whatever, one problem nowadays is determining the original hue, thanks to exposure to undesirable atmospheres, sun bleaching and so forth. It could therefore be that your new acquisition is nearer the original colour and the 328 has discoloured over the decades. Examination of the inside of the case(s) may yield clues to the original hue.

I have a friend in, funnily enough, Bournemouth who owns an ivory GPO 300 series. Sadly, but nonetheless maybe wisely, he keeps it stored away in a cupboard for the very reason of protecting it from sunlight and other undesirables. It's sat in the cupboard for many years and, from memory when I last saw it three of four years ago, it's a very light cream colour but hardly what I'd call 'white'.
Old 12th Nov 2010, 1:29 am   #5
JCM3000
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Darren. It's definitely a GPO set. I've finally got around to looking at it properly and, unfortunately, it is sun-bleached and probably from being sited on a windowsill as the back-right corner is a proper ivory colour the same as the inside while the front and left are white. Removing the button label above the dial really demonstrated the contrast!

I'll think about it when I get back from holiday now . . .
Closed Thread