UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2009, 10:30 pm   #1
andybezza
Retired Dormant Member

Default help me find a valve bush DAC10

Hi can anyone let me know where i can find a valve for this bush DAC10 radio
I dont knowwwif this will get it going or not but i am going to try .
I know nothing about Radios but i do pick them up from bootsales etc and then i sell them on again .
I dont know what the No of the valve is but here are some pictures of the inside showing the missing valve.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/radio002.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/radio003.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/radio004.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...2/radio007.jpg

Can someone please advice me on what to do or how much for a valve please

Many thanks
Andy
Northampton
Old 15th Jul 2009, 8:33 am   #2
richrussell
Heptode

Default Re: help me find a valve bush DAC10

The DAC10 has a pretty standard 1950's Bush lineup of UCH42, UF41, UBC41,
UL41 and UY41 valves. All widely available (though UL41s are starting to get a bit more expensive).

I'm assuming you buy and sell these without restoring in any way (other than replacing missing parts)? It certainly isn't a good idea to apply power to a radio that hasn't been in use for some time without first doing some checks and almost always replacing certain capacitors. Lots of information on http://www.vintage-radio.com on how to get started bringing them back to life.

Rich
Old 15th Jul 2009, 8:56 am   #3
andybezza
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: help me find a valve bush DAC10

Hi Rich .
Thanks for your help do you know anyone near or in Northampton that might help to restore this set for me, Or get it working ?
Many thanks
Andy
Old 15th Jul 2009, 9:42 am   #4
peter_sol
Octode

yes its a ul41 that is missing.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 9:59 am   #5
Tim
Dekatron

A Mazda 10P13 works well in these sets as a replacement for the UL41, and is fairly common and somewhat cheaper than the original UL41.

Please see safety info above etc.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 10:22 am   #6
richrussell
Heptode

Also CV1977 is a direct replacement and much cheaper than a Mullard UL41.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 1:28 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also CV1977 is a direct replacement and much cheaper than a Mullard UL41.
That's curious. I hadn't realised that.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 2:06 pm   #8
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybezza View Post
Hi Rich .
Thanks for your help do you know anyone near or in Northampton that might help to restore this set for me, Or get it working ?
Hi Andy, I think you'd get the best response from this forum if you were in a position to/ were inclined to/ wanted help in having a go at restoring the set yourself.

That's what it's really all about. There's certainly more than enough expertise on the forum to get it going, but that's little comfort to you if you just sell these things on.

On the other hand, you're not going to be able to sell it at a profit if you pay someone else to do the work, as you probably know.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 2:24 pm   #9
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Andy,

There's been some discussion among the Moderators concerning this thread and there are several issues of which you should take note.

As others have said, asking for somebody to restore/repair the radio will end up costing you money, to the point where reselling it would become unviable. The DAC10, although popular, is not a rare radio. It's a postwar model (1950) and not especially valuable. The Bakelite cabinet does not make it valuable either, unlike certain prewar models.

There is also the electrical safety aspect to consider given it's age and it's being of 'live chassis' configuration. You would therefore be well advised to look at this realistically and resell it as a 'collectors/display item'. Forget the missing valve, it's not a problem and will render the radio inoperable, and also remove the mains lead if it's still present.

Alternatively you could offer the radio here, via the 'Offered' section by stating an exact price and whether or not you'd be prepared to post it.

Otherwise and as said above, paying to restore/repair a common postwar radio with the sole intention of reselling at a worthwhile profit........forget it.

Perhaps you'll let us know what you decide.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 2:34 pm   #10
Steve_P
Dekatron

Andybezza...

If you want to restore it yourself, read here:

http://www.vintage-radio.com/repair-...ion/index.html

These are fairly easy to get going, it must be said. The valve is the costliest part. The manual is available up top there and it's well worth having.

We are restorers and keepers on here, please DO NOT use us to help you restore a set to sell. But, if you plan to restore and use, then you'll get all the help you need.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 15th Jul 2009, 2:39 pm   #11
paulsherwin

Darren is quite right. A fully restored DAC10 may sell for £50 if you're very lucky. The restoration will involve several hours of skilled work though, plus perhaps £20 worth of parts - I'm sure you can do the maths. We enthusiasts restore these things because we enjoy doing it, and there's rarely any money to be made.

Paul
Old 15th Jul 2009, 2:40 pm   #12
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
please DO NOT use us to help you restore a set to sell.
I dunno Steve. Personally it doesn't bother me if somone sells a set on. They will have learnt something from it and if not the set then goes to someone else who might have a more in-depth interest.

Dave
Old 15th Jul 2009, 4:26 pm   #13
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Andy,

If you do wish to obtain a UL41 or equivalent then try this site or search for others via the links section of our homepage.

Various options and relevant information have/has been given within this thread, so perhaps you'll consider these and decide accordingly. If you do decide to try repairing it yourself, start a new thread. Likewise if you decide to offer the radio for sale via the Forums.

Meanwhile, your primary question on valve replacement has been answered and as the missing UL41 has broken the heater-chain we don't see this thread being able to progress further. Closed.
Closed Thread