UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jan 2009, 1:39 am   #1
cendoubleu
Tetrode

Default R1556A/AR88 transmitter

Just as a matter of interest. Does anyone know if there was a companion transmitter that went with the R1556A/AR88 receiver. As I have the receiver, the addition of the TX would make a great combination.

Charlie
Old 24th Jan 2009, 10:42 am   #2
Stockden
Heptode

Default Re: R1556A/AR88 transmitter

I suppose there are 2 ways to look at this question:
1. Did RCA produce a companion transmitter to the AR88?
1. Did the RAF intend to use the AR88 (in its R1556A guise) with a transmitter?
I have no idea of the answer to 1 but it's my understanding that the R1556A was mainly intended for use by the RAF "Y Service", where it's purpose would have been to intercept enemy (mainly German) transmissions. In that role there would have been no associated transmitter.

Hugh
Old 24th Jan 2009, 11:40 am   #3
Station X

The AR88 was produced as an amateur receiver, but was seen by the military as an off the shelf solution when they required large numbers of communications receivers in WW2. It does incorporate RX/TX switching, so it's possible that RCA made a companion amateur transmitter. This would have been unsuitable for military use though as it would have covered the wrong frequencies and in most cases AM wouldn't have been needed.

The three services all had their own design of transmitters, but I don't know what would have been used with the AR88 if indeed it was ever used with a transmitter in military service.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th Jan 2009, 12:42 pm   #4
cendoubleu
Tetrode

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious as there is provision for receiver muting. If there was no 'companion' transmitter, I guess a 'period' transmitter of the time would be something like a BC459A or the monster T1509 for which I would not have room even if I could find one!.

Charlie
Old 24th Jan 2009, 8:41 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Interesting AR88 question. Re the info from Stockden, I've said before that mine has a "slave 36 " badge so perhaps it was once a part of a Y Group monitoring stack? There is very little ref anywhere to an associated TX, you are right. Even Wireless For The Warrior and the VMARS site just write it up as a high quality set.
An amateur [mentor] I knew in the sixties was very proud of his set, using it with a Heathkit DX100. He explained the T/R switching system in the RX to me but no mention of a war time use. Clearly it must have been originally designed with some sort of "Ham" radio TX in mind but that doesn't necessarily mean they were ever paired up with a TX in conflict I suppose!
Curious though. I suppose members of the VMARS group might know something?
Dave W
Old 24th Jan 2009, 9:18 pm   #6
Station X

One post re AM TX Design moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=36658

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Jan 2009, 9:18 pm   #7
G4XWDJim
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cendoubleu View Post
Just as a matter of interest. Does anyone know if there was a companion transmitter that went with the R1556A/AR88 receiver. As I have the receiver, the addition of the TX would make a great combination.

Charlie
My understanding is the the TX was the RCA ET4336. I used one on the vmars net during 2000 to 2004. It's the same performance as the T1509 but with better audio with 805s in the modulator and measures about 8" narrower.Still about 5 feet tall though but lighter in weight by about a hundredweight. There will I'm sure be photos of one on the vmars site.

Jim
Closed Thread