UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Dec 2008, 10:35 pm   #1
jazzy
Retired Dormant Member

Default What antenna should i buy?

Not to sure if this is the right place to wright this but here go's.
Looking to buy a antenna to work the 6m/2m/70cm band (50/144/430 MHz,
are thinking about the comet gp-15n, the thing is that this will be mounted 50ft up in the air, and i dont want to have to get up to it once its up,also can not have a antenna thst sticks out like a sore thumb.
any ideas?

thanks for your help
Old 5th Dec 2008, 11:17 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: What antenna should i buy?

Well, depends on what you want to do.

If it is just nattering on repeaters and local nets then this will be fine - the 50Mhz coverage will be able to deal with some good sp.e openings next year.

If you want a better chance of DX then a beam is the only way to go.

Whatever happens you really need excellent feeder (the losses at 430 Mhz in RG8/213 are staggering) and the bigger antennas are the better they work!

Cheers
Sean
Old 8th Dec 2008, 10:22 pm   #3
Trish
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
Looking to buy a antenna to work the 6m/2m/70cm band (50/144/430 MHz, are thinking about the comet gp-15n,
I am using a tri band co linear that is being sold by a well known seller on Ebay... It cost me less than half the price of the one you are considering.. It looks very much like the one that you are considering and the build quality is good, and the swr is reasonable on all bands..

I have found it to be very good on all bands, and it is stealth enough not to draw attention to it... I would suggest using something better than RG 58 if you have a long run..

Trish
Old 9th Jan 2009, 9:18 pm   #4
jazzy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for getting back to me, sorry i to so long (have been ill)!
Any way i have picked up a near new diamond v-2000 antenna
and will let you know how i get on with it,I did read some where that there is a sight problem with the swr on 50 MHz...... we will see,also no n type connection
Thanks Garry
Old 10th Jan 2009, 2:14 pm   #5
Trish
Retired Dormant Member

I don't know how slight your problem is on 6 meters with the SWR ... I see that a few people have done slight modifications to the long radial to bring the aerial into resonance at the desired frequency on six.. I have done that with my co linear... Just a couple of inches was needed to bring the swr from 2.5:1 to 1.3:1 ...

I hope this is allowed.. Here is a link to someone that has taken it a step further with the V2000 ---> http://ea4eoz.ure.es/v2000.html

Trish
Closed Thread