UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2018, 5:30 pm   #1
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

Default GEC 3KW Industrial Heater

I have just finished restoring this heater. I carefully removed all asbestos bushings and reassembled. Oiled and cleaned (decided to maintain patina rather than repaint). Checked all electrics.

Thought it would be ideal for the wall in my workshop as it is cold in there in winter, and I am fed up with tripping over the various floor heaters I have. Delighted when functioned perfectly on plugging it. Surprisingly quiet.

I then noticed the plug was hot. Read the plaque - rated at 13.5A! It has a rheostat which sets the heat (I had turned it fully on to see how much heat I could get out of it). I guess that the current draw will be similar no matter what the rheostat is set at.

I wonder if anyone can advise? I had identified a place for it. My workshop has a separate consumer unit. Wonder about getting an electrician to wire a 15A spur? Very keen to use it ongoing.

Many thanks,
Kneale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	162035  

Last edited by Radio_Doctor; 30th Apr 2018 at 5:48 pm.
Old 30th Apr 2018, 6:46 pm   #2
alanworland
Heptode

Default Re: GEC 3KW Industrial Heater

Plug/socket contact's need to be super clean to handle what is pretty much their limit for current.
Nice heater! Just be nice to keep the heat coming from just the fire!

Alan
Old 30th Apr 2018, 7:39 pm   #3
ColinB
Heptode

How big is the supply into the building?

Assuming it is adequate for the load, how about a 2.5mm radial circuit to a 20A DP switch, on a 16A breaker?
Old 30th Apr 2018, 7:47 pm   #4
philthespark
Pentode

Anything running at that load would probably never have been wired on a 13A plug top normally, it would have either been on a fused spur unit or a double pole switch on it's own circuit which would be normal practice these days, however as a 13amp mcb is not available it would have to connect to a 16amb one,there is a certain amount of diversity allowed on a lot of kit, so with a 13amp fuse in a fused spur unit you should be ok, but I'd wire it from it's own circuit at the distribution board, it's not a major job and you could do it yourself if you are reasonably competant.
Old 30th Apr 2018, 8:03 pm   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Seen these wired before with 4mm flex, 20A dp switch, no fuse, onto a ring main. Not strictly correct but works.
Is it to be connected to a ring or a radial circuit? If its 20A or 32A radial, then no problem.
13A spur of decent make will stand it no problem, we had lots of dishwashers that were just over 13A.
That's assuming of course that your mains voltage is at its max, if its down a bit then measure the current, it will probably be under 13A!
Old 30th Apr 2018, 8:06 pm   #6
paulsherwin

3kW should be OK via a BS1363 plug and socket, but as has been said you need to make sure that the plug pins are clean and shiny and the socket is in good condition.

It's true that an industrial heater like this would normally be hard wired to a dedicated spur.
Old 30th Apr 2018, 8:32 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio_Doctor View Post
It has a rheostat which sets the heat (I had turned it fully on to see how much heat I could get out of it). I guess that the current draw will be similar no matter what the rheostat is set at.
Kneale, surely this control can't actually be just a rheostat. That wouldn't make sense in a heater (unless it merely controlled the speed of the blower).

Could you post some photos of what's inside, please?
Old 30th Apr 2018, 8:46 pm   #8
Trifocaltrev
Hexode

Have you thought about running a separate radial feed fitted with a 16 amp CB and using a BS 546 15 amp plug and socket which has much thicker pins. This would enable you to unplug it for servicing etc.

Regards
Trevor.
Old 30th Apr 2018, 10:50 pm   #9
broadgage
Nonode

That is what I would recommend, a 15 amp or 16 amp fuse or circuit breaker, 2.5mm cable to a dedicated 15 amp round pin socket, and fit a matching plug to the heater.
This would be within many peoples capabilities, but should be done by an approved electrician if in doubt.
Old 1st May 2018, 8:16 am   #10
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

Many thanks for all the replies. I'll take some photographs of the inside when I'm home from work tonight.
I'd thought of a single spur with 15A socket. Current set up was put in by an electrician when I converted the workshop. Not sure if the sockets were ring or radial. I also had a 5A ring put in for my "illuminated signs and clocks" which are displayed round the top edge.

I'll give my friendly electrician a ring. There will no doubt be a wait for him to be available. He's always interested in my collection so hopefully he'll help with this. As this heater's a keeper I don't mind sorting it properly. All replies will assist in discussion with him.

Many thanks Kneale
Old 1st May 2018, 10:38 pm   #11
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

There are some photos below -
One of the consumer unit with a capture of my high level 5A sockets
One of my bench with a few signs switched on
One of the inside of the GEC heater

Have contacted the electrician but no reply yet. May be some time!

Again many thanks,
Kneale
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	162125  
Old 1st May 2018, 10:39 pm   #12
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

Bench
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	207
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	162126  
Old 1st May 2018, 10:40 pm   #13
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

Heater
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	204
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	162127  
Old 2nd May 2018, 2:58 am   #14
bionicmerlin
Heptode

It's very common for the plug to get warm when operating near the limit. One of the most common problems if the plug gets hot is loose screws in the plug or the fuse not held tight by the clips . Might be worth checking both of these . Always use a good quality plug top for high current use.
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:33 am   #15
Station X

One post moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=146141

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread