UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2011, 12:08 am   #1
shaun harris
Tetrode

Default Magnavox Radiogram.

I acquired this gram recently and have managed to get the radio sorted and playing nicely, but am having fun with the turntable. I was wondering if any of you guys point me in the right direction? It's a Magnavox Imperial which I believe was made by Collaro. When a stack of records is put on it goes through the motions, the arm taps the stack, the record drops and the arm moves over and lands on record, then it rejects. It repeats this until the final record drops and then plays it fine. Happens on all speeds. Anyone out there got any ideas before I hit it with a big mallet?

Cheers shaun

Last edited by Station X; 20th Jun 2011 at 7:59 am. Reason: FSK, GI.
Old 20th Jun 2011, 3:49 am   #2
paolo
Heptode

Default Re: magnavox radiogram

This thread is probably the best place to start:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=68177

Paul
Old 20th Jun 2011, 9:52 am   #3
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Magnavox Radiogram.

It would be a good idea to post a picture of the deck so we know what we are dealing with.

The thread that Paulo has directed you to is for the conquest, there is a later deck called the studio.

You can easily tell the difference, The Conquest has the speed change on the left and the operating control on the right, the Studio has them both on the left in a dual concentric knob.
Old 20th Jun 2011, 10:07 am   #4
radiotircoed
Pentode

I have the service info for the Magnavox variant of this deck but not the facility of scanning A3.

Let me know if you are interested.

Bob W
Old 20th Jun 2011, 7:33 pm   #5
shaun harris
Tetrode

Hi Bob W

Service info would be a great help. My turntable is more like the Studio variant. I have looked at the link posted, looks a bit complex for me. I'll have a look at it and see if I can manage to take it to bits. It's putting it back together that I have difficulty with, but we shall see.

Cheers guys.

Shaun
Old 20th Jun 2011, 9:45 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

Two items you need to check, one is the trip mechanism, ie that part of the mechanism that the starts the change cycle when the record finishes. It must be completely free from oil and grease and be very free to move.

The other is the arm which swings in and out and pushes the change cycle idler into and out of contact with the motor pulley.
Old 24th Jun 2011, 7:43 pm   #7
shaun harris
Tetrode

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. I've taken the turntable apart, cleaned it, greased it and reassembled it. Still won't behave itself, anyone any further suggestions?

Cheers,
Shaun.
Old 24th Jun 2011, 9:47 pm   #8
julie_m
Dekatron

Lubricant where there shouldn't be any? The end-of-song detection, record measuring and only dropping one record at a time all rely on metal-to-metal friction.

What's it doing wrong? Can you post a video of the unit trying to cycle on YouTube and link it?
Old 26th Jun 2011, 8:53 pm   #9
shaun harris
Tetrode

Hi guys, still having fun.

It's now sort of behaving itself. It still won't play just one record on its own, but when a stack is put on it will play two or three then it's back to the play and reject again. That is until it gets to the last record which it will play, then it just continues to go through the change cycle until you actually switch the turntable off manually.

I'm just about at my wits end with this machine. Any ideas guys?

Cheers,
Shaun.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 26th Jun 2011 at 9:21 pm. Reason: FSK, GI and WP.
Closed Thread