UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2012, 7:32 am   #21
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Akai 4000DS cam set

Does anyone have any drawings of the original cams?

If you could have them made out of aluminium, how much would you be prepared to pay for them?

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 24th May 2013, 10:25 am   #22
Kala_12
Hexode

Hi Colin AKA DOFFERY,
I have just found this thread. I too am after a play/record cam for an AKAI 4000DS. Did you get new stock and if so do you still have one left?
PM sent as well.

thank you

Stuart.
Old 24th May 2013, 2:10 pm   #23
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

pm sent Stuart.

Colin.
Old 25th May 2013, 12:36 pm   #24
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

There is some confusion in this thread re the cams. The cam that caused the problems in earlier threads re. types for various 4000 series was the cam at the lower end of the spindle which operated the rec/play switch. This is the cam that much time was spent on by late member Roger 13 & was followed up by others interested in same . The two cams on the top of the deck, interlinked via the ball bearing are A & B & to my knowledge have not been reproduced , whereas CAM C (switch) has & is still being produced.

Colin.
Old 25th May 2013, 3:13 pm   #25
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Just to add to those interested , cam C (switch) in the M7 is as per 4000D.

Colin.
Old 4th Jun 2013, 11:31 am   #26
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Just as a matter of interest before this long & complicated thread dies, does anyone need "any" of the cams fitted to the 4000 series in its many forms? ie. the A B cams on the top deck, wind/rwd & play & the switch cam on the bottom of the spindle?

Many people have shown an interest but then as so many posts go......... oblivion.

Graham & I still have an interest.

Colin.
Old 4th Jun 2013, 6:39 pm   #27
Kala_12
Hexode

Hi Colin,
I am interested in the cam you call "cam A", it's the one at the top of the play/record lever, interlinked via the ball bearing to the "cam B". "A" is the left hand one. Out of interest, was there a pin protruding down from this cam? If so, what for?

What sort of price would one be?

I have just remembered that a chap up the road from me was an engineer in his working days. He still tinkers. He might like the challenge.

Stuart.
Old 6th Jun 2013, 2:06 pm   #28
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Stuart,
As you will note there seems to be little interest in the various cams, hence those of us involved may take a break.

I only have one cam A , this is for my use in case of problems I encounter, should another become available I will certainly advise you.

Cheers.

Colin.
Old 6th Jun 2013, 5:38 pm   #29
Kala_12
Hexode

Hi Colin,
Thank you. That's very kind of you. I haven't been able to have a word with the chap up the road yet. If/when he can make me one, I will update this thread.
Stuart.
Old 7th Jun 2013, 2:27 pm   #30
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Stuart,
Just out of the blue a 4000 brought in by a "tip" rooster, machine in sorry state, alas your cam is as usual broken, the lower rec/play switch cam is in good condition if anyone interested, pm me. Not suitable for the GX series!

Colin.
Old 7th Jun 2013, 3:03 pm   #31
Kala_12
Hexode

Hi Colin,
PM sent.
Stuart.
Old 26th Nov 2013, 8:38 pm   #32
phono1337
Retired Dormant Member

If anyone is making 4000 cams please let me know, I don't need them at the moment but would like a survival kit
Old 27th Nov 2013, 5:54 pm   #33
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Which model of the 4000, cams differ.?

Colin.
Old 28th Nov 2013, 3:08 pm   #34
ricard
Octode

Couldn't cams be made by starting with a suitable piece of steel, or perhaps even aluminium, say 5mm thick or whatever the cams are, and then machining away what is not needed in order to get the required shape? A lot of work if doing it by hand of course.
Old 28th Nov 2013, 3:34 pm   #35
julie_m
Dekatron

Probably better to 3-D print it, then use that as a master for sand casting.
Old 28th Nov 2013, 3:48 pm   #36
Station X

Quote:
Couldn't cams be made by starting with a suitable piece of steel, or perhaps even aluminium, say 5mm thick or whatever the cams are, and then machining away what is not needed in order to get the required shape? A lot of work if doing it by hand of course.
It can be done. I have done it it, both on manual and CNC milling machines. The hardest part is making the "oval" hole in the middle. The radius at the ends of the slot has a greater radius than half the width of the slot, so it cannot be fully machined using a slot drill. You have to finish the radii by hand using needle files. There is also a restriction in as much as small diameter slot drills needed to mill the hole tend to be shorter than the thickness of the material.

If anyone wants to try 3D printing I can supply DXF or DWG drawings to derive G code from.

There is also a possibility that the cams could be water jet or laser cut.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th Nov 2013, 9:18 pm   #37
ricard
Octode

The thing is that an Akai cam thread seems to awake about once a year, but the effort involved in actually doing something seems too great, so it never amounts to anything. Just trying to think of what method would be simple enough to actually reach some sort of conclusion. Don't have an Akai myself so I've no personal interest, but they are fine machines so it seems a shame to have so many rot away due to a more or less mundane piece of metal.
Old 30th Nov 2013, 9:22 am   #38
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

You are quite right Ricard, a brief flurry then oblivion, I know Graham has spent a great deal of time on this matter . The same problem with Tandberg pinch rollers but when available no interest , it makes one wonder sometimes.
Colin.
Old 4th Dec 2013, 9:21 am   #39
ricard
Octode

I guess it boils down to human psychology. It's easy to get enthusiastic about something for limited period of time, but I'm always impressed by the folks that actually manage to pull something through the whole mile. It's so easy to loose interest down the line - something else turns up and draws one's attention, some unforeseen circumstance makes the project longer and/or more expensive than originally envisaged, etc.

Also, there are plenty of machines out there, so even if one has a genuine desire to fix one up, there are always a couple of others waiting in someone's closet, enough to satisfy our curiosity and enthusiasm.
Old 5th Dec 2013, 2:06 am   #40
dmaillard
Tetrode

I wonder if a 3D printed cam would be strong enough to work in these Akai's.
Closed Thread