UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Mar 2010, 6:47 pm   #1
themisk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tape speed adjustment on a Revox PR-99 MK3

Hello to all ,

Recently I bought a Revox PR-99 MK3 HS. Near mint condition with low hours. By playing tapes from my other revox machine I noticed that it plays them a little slower.
Before I go to audio calibrations with the milivoltometer I have to adjust the speed.
The service manual writes to connect a digital counter on TP1 and P5 to measure the frequency of 800Hz.
What type of electronic device can measure this frequency? Have in mind that I'm not experienced with oscilloscopes.

Regards
Old 18th Mar 2010, 10:26 pm   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Tape speed adjustment on a Revox PR-99 MK3

I believe that your mains frequency is 50Hz. As long as the speed isn't too far out, and you have a reasonably good musical ear, you could mix the signal from the TP and the 50Hz hum, and adjust the speed to eliminate 'beats'. Otherwise, use the 'measured tape' method I've desribed here before.
If you don't need absolute speed accuracy, but just to match the two machines, simply feed tape directly from the faster machine to the slower, and gradually adjust the speed of the slower one until no tape is gained or lost in the loop between them.
Old 18th Mar 2010, 10:46 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

You really need a frequency counter to set this up accurately, the specification is 800Hz +/- 1Hz. An oscilloscope really isn't accurate enough.
Old 19th Mar 2010, 12:12 am   #4
allanhaynes
Retired Dormant Member

I have a cheap yellow plastic multimeter from that nice Mr. Maplin that seems to measure frequency fairly accurately ... (Usual disclaimer !)
Old 19th Mar 2010, 8:49 am   #5
themisk
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you for your answers!

Do you have any model info about a multimeter that can do this measurement? Thank you in advance.
Closed Thread