UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Mar 2018, 10:53 pm   #1
kirstyd
Heptode

Default Bush SRP51

anyone know if the plug that fits the stereo socket on this machine is still available anywhere
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180309_214933.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	158959  
Old 9th Mar 2018, 11:26 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Bush SRP51

Hi, I have sent you a PM as I may have a spare plug of the type that you require.

Andrew
Old 10th Mar 2018, 1:03 am   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

It's not crystal clear but it looks like a 240 degree 4 pin DIN? Also used for connecting Quad 33s to 303s IIRC. I might have one if Andrew's doesn't fit.
Old 10th Mar 2018, 9:29 am   #4
vidjoman
Dekatron

It's a 4 pin din with a plastic spigot that separates the two contacts shown on the right of the photo. Normally they are connected to make both channels of the cartridge play through the internal speaker - the spigot opens them to isolate the channels. It's not the same as a Quad interconnect plug.
Old 10th Mar 2018, 9:49 am   #5
kirstyd
Heptode

thanks guys
if i cant get hold of one i will fit something else but i would like to keep it original is possible
Old 10th Mar 2018, 9:58 am   #6
barrymagrec
Octode

It looks to be a McMurdo special, DIN sized but pins slightly different spacing and as mentioned above, a switching arrangement.
Old 10th Mar 2018, 10:48 am   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

RS used to sell them many years ago, but that's of little use now.

The 4 pins are in the same positions as the obvious 4 pins of a 5 pin 'B' (240 degree) or 6 pin DIN plug. You would have to cut off the other pin(s) and replace them with a plastic peg to open the switch contacts in the socket (this must be an insulating peg as it fits between said contacts and you don't want them shorted via the peg).
Old 10th Mar 2018, 12:33 pm   #8
dazzlevision
Dekatron

These plugs were also used for the connecting plug on microphones supplied with many Thorn (Ferguson, HMV, Marconiphone and Ultra brands) group tape recorder models in the 1960s.
Old 10th Mar 2018, 10:22 pm   #9
kirstyd
Heptode

I picked up the bush record player and its add on amp in the local Sue Ryder shop last week for 9.99 i wasn't going to bother but when i saw the price i couldn't resist .on getting it home i just plugged in and hoped for the best .the record player burst into life even though it was switched off at the volume control more about that later .tapping the cartridge gave a healthy thump from the speaker but on closer inspection the rubber mount that the stylus rests in is perished not to worry i thought i have another cart and they are easy to swap .New cart in and its playing records good and loud .Now i already have one of these machines [the earlier model from 1968 ] this one is from 1970 and its quite interesting to see the subtle differences in the two machines the later model having a smaller speaker different garrard deck and a plastic plinth for the record deck to sit in .Its also much easier to access with the front panel coming off .back to the volume on off switch .On opening up the machine i found that it had been bypassed however a quick squirt of switch cleaner and a tiny drop of oil on the shaft and it working as it should so i will put it back as it should be .I have taken a couple of photos of the broken cart if anyone is interested .It still has a good loud output from both channels so i might try and fix it .i have done this before with rubber parts from BSR carts its fiddly but worth it i just cut them down with a razor blade till they are something like the original usually works well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_165837(0).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	159001   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_204749.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	159002   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_165753.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	159003   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_205045.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	159004   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180310_165829.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	159005  

Old 12th Mar 2018, 8:43 pm   #10
kirstyd
Heptode

Can i just say a big thanks to AndiiT for going to the trouble of digging one of these plugs out and sending it to me .The machine is coming along nicely .the turntable has been cleaned and lubricated [always find it amusing how a good layer of dirt tends to preserve things ]and is running as it should .Although the amp is working i noticed a couple of capacitors were just beginning to ooze gunk so i have replaced all of them .To get at the amplifier i had to unbolt the power supply underneath it was a stamp with the date 3/12/1970 .This later model will play noticeably louder than the older machine from 1968 yet the amp is the same [could it be the different speaker? ].Will take a look at the add on amp at the weekend and see what state thats in
Old 12th Mar 2018, 11:05 pm   #11
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, The SRP51 is a great player and capable of producing reasonable sound quality.
I have to admit to performing a few (reversible) modifications on mine which have included fitting a Garrard SP25 MkIII deck with a magnetic cartridge and an associated RIAA amplifier kit which is powered directly from the players 26 Volt rail.

The outputs of the RIAA amp have been connected in such a way so that I can still use the additional amplifier for stereo operation.

I have also rewired the AMP and TAPE sockets so that a stereo (or mono) tape recorder only needs to be connected to one of the TAPE sockets and is not dependent on the setting of the amplifier controls; In the original circuit the output for tape recording is attenuated down directly from the loudspeaker and only one channel is connected at the player TAPE socket and the other at the add on amplifier.

Regards

Andrew
Old 13th Mar 2018, 8:28 pm   #12
kirstyd
Heptode

interesting stuff Andy .I have spent this afternoon fitting a new BSR cartridge because the spare sonotone i had was very low on one channel and what a difference .much better sound quality and a big improvement on the bass its quite a lot louder .I think those old Sonotone carts although good when new are just coming to the end of there life now .I am so impressed im going to do my other one at the weekend
Closed Thread