UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Member Introductions and News

Notices

Member Introductions and News A place where members can introduce themselves and post occasional news about themselves.

Old 15th Mar 2018, 8:33 pm   #41
paulsherwin

Default Re: Stephen Hawking dies aged 76

Hawking was a theoretician, and it's hardly surprising he didn't achieve much in applied technology. You want James Dyson for that sort of thing. Clive Sinclair was really just a chancer.

Any prominent person will receive eulogies when they die (unless they're Hitler or Ian Brady). Even Robert Maxwell did. That doesn't diminish the contribution Hawking made to theoretical physics and cosmology throughout his life. The fact that he agreed to be a guest on The Simpsons and other popular TV shows doesn't diminish his achievements one bit.

Hawking was no 'pop scientist', despite his best known book (which is actually extremely challenging for the general reader). He was a bleeding edge cosmologist who achieved major advances in our understanding of the universe.

Of course, Hawking wasn't some sort of superman or angel. His personality appears to have had a dark side, and no doubt there will be more discussion of that as he moves into history. Nevertheless, it's legitimate as well as understandable to think of his achievements at this time.

A few people here have touched on Hawking's atheism. Please remember that any religious discussion is strictly off topic for the forum.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2018, 10:34 pm   #42
Cobaltblue
Nonode

Sorry Sir Clive Sinclair

Someone who invented nothing just produced tat.

Against an original thinker there is IMHO no comparison.

Before you think that the ZX80/81 have any original features read the cheap video cookbook by Don Lancaster then tell me how much Sir Clive really added.

His Radios were just novelty items his amplifiers were massively over spec'd then it got worse.

Just my opinion of course others are entitled to different opinion.

Stephen Hawkings was a genuinley original thinker and prepared to say when he had changed his mind.

Which he did on many occasions.

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 15th Mar 2018 at 10:45 pm.
Cobaltblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2018, 11:03 pm   #43
Boom
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Sorry Sir Clive Sinclair

Someone who invented nothing just produced tat.
Pretty much the same as Alan Sugar.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2018, 1:34 am   #44
paulsherwin

Back on topic please.
Old 16th Mar 2018, 1:45 am   #45
cheerfulcharlie
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Just my opinion of course others are entitled to different opinion.
My opinion is probably the opposite....Sir Clive and Sir Alan actually produced real things and while it might be regarded as tat, it got other people fired up and thinking on how they might do it better ie Sir Clive - then Acorn - then ARM.

..And great credit to Stephen Hawking for not letting a terrible disease hinder his path, but frankly I thought he just talked a load of unsubstantiated waffle.
We can all say what we like about the universe because it cannot be proved. A very intelligent man yet was persistently promoting the idea of colonizing other planets...when he knew darn well that even the nearest star (let alone planet) is 4 light years away, so even if we achieved incredible speeds(but not the speed of light) which would probably cause the spaceship to have the mass of a planet and avoided a pin head of rubble which would also probably blow the ship apart ..we then arrive with some of the crew gone loopy with agoraphobia to find there is sweet fanny adam there.
As for 'a brief history of time' ..has anyone actually got anything out of it? or did you find it a load of old tosh?

(retreats and hides behind grassy knoll)
cheerfulcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2018, 7:03 am   #46
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

You can never predict what any fundamental research will turn into, except that if anything shows up promising a lot of energy, government researchers will be directed to turn it into a bomb. There will be teams beavering away right now on the Black Hole bomb and the Vacuum Energy bomb. Powerful enough to destroy the solar system and the galaxy respectively.

You might well ask 'What has the Higgs Boson ever done for us?'

It's clothed and fed the families of many equipment makers, civil engineers, researchers. On a less cynical note, if it is what it's thought to be, it's provided us with the effects we call mass and inertia and made a lot of things work. On the other hand, If no-one had proposed its existence and no-one had gone looking for one, they would still be doing whatever it is that they do.

The prime mover behind Hawking is human curiosity, and without that what would we be? A food item for the next predator up on the food chain?

David
Old 16th Mar 2018, 9:16 am   #47
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
As for 'a brief history of time' ..has anyone actually got anything out of it? or did you find it a load of old tosh?
I'm not sure what would count as getting anything out of it, but I certainly enjoyed reading it - enough to re-read it. So if nothing else, I got enjoyment out of it.
Old 16th Mar 2018, 10:14 am   #48
paulsherwin

I found it difficult and counterintuitive, but I felt I understood more at the end than at the beginning.

It's incredibly challenging to explain current thinking in particle physics and cosmology to a general audience. It's largely advanced mathematics, with few simplifying metaphors to get the general ideas across. Hawking did a pretty good job under the circumstances.
Old 16th Mar 2018, 8:00 pm   #49
Trevor
Heptode

Remarkable man. I have had flu for a week and wanted to shoot myself never mind 50 years of what he had to put up with.

A big thinker yes, it is what got us from down the trees. I bet in retrospect he will go down very well in history.

Trev.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2018, 7:59 am   #50
dalekmoore2007
Tetrode

He is dead in the universe but in another multiverse he is alive and kicking, my best buddy and we watch Doctor Who together! One of the Infinite Possibilities of existence. Never knew him in this one but he taught me in any case.
dalekmoore2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2018, 3:41 pm   #51
dave cox
Octode

It can be difficult to see where pure theory might go in the future. Doubly so when most of it is about the beginning / end of the universe and black holes!

But people said the same about Einstein’s theories, firstly, relativity is a load of old tosh, then later, OK its true but how useful is it? So, just go ahead and try to make a GPS system without tensor calculus …
dc
dave cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2018, 4:41 pm   #52
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Quote:
It can be difficult to see where pure theory might go in the future.
exactly the point as you put, we don't know.

We need pure research without goal (if it has a goal we know the outcome, it becomes development not research). Caveman sits down and idly hits bit of flint, the knife!
Old 20th Mar 2018, 8:13 pm   #53
SiriusHardware
Octode

As a long-standing fan of 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' I decided to listen to the first couple of episodes of the latest R4 radio series based on The Guide - still available on iplayer as I write this.

One of the characters featured was 'The Hitchiker's Guide Mk2' which had a voice uncommonly like that of Prof. Hawking, in fact there was even a sly comment in the script about it somehow sounding familiar. As the (audio) end credits rolled I was surprised to hear that 'The Guide (MK2)' had in fact actually been played by Hawking himself.

In fact, he made quite a few guest spot appearances in mainstream entertainment, sometimes recurring, as in the Big Bang Theory. Sometimes his role sent him up or imagined a darker, more evil side to his personality. He was a very good sport when it came to things like that.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2018, 9:44 am   #54
cheerfulcharlie
Hexode

Oh the irony! Stephen Hawking who spent his life telling the world to take God out of the Universe.... is having a funeral in a church on a Christian festival day..followed by having his ashes scattered in that other den of scientific logic..Westminster Abbey.
So having disturbed other people's thoughts (who had taken great comfort from their religion) ..it looks like he is hedging his bets for himself with regards to a God
cheerfulcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Mar 2018, 11:45 am   #55
paulsherwin

As I mentioned back in #41, please don't discuss religion on the forum.
Old 21st Mar 2018, 7:31 pm   #56
Richard_FM
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
As a long-standing fan of 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' I decided to listen to the first couple of episodes of the latest R4 radio series based on The Guide - still available on iplayer as I write this.

One of the characters featured was 'The Hitchiker's Guide Mk2' which had a voice uncommonly like that of Prof. Hawking, in fact there was even a sly comment in the script about it somehow sounding familiar. As the (audio) end credits rolled I was surprised to hear that 'The Guide (MK2)' had in fact actually been played by Hawking himself.

In fact, he made quite a few guest spot appearances in mainstream entertainment, sometimes recurring, as in the Big Bang Theory. Sometimes his role sent him up or imagined a darker, more evil side to his personality. He was a very good sport when it came to things like that.
Apparently In The Theory Of Everything he supplied all the voice box speech for Eddie Redmayne to act along with.
Richard_FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Mar 2018, 11:38 am   #57
emeritus
Nonode

Stephen Hawking's voice features in the 1994 Pink Floyd piece "Keep Talking".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qsPPIKjYRs .

The above Youtube video doesn't mention this, but it is acknowledged on the sleeve notes of the CD I have.

Last edited by emeritus; 22nd Mar 2018 at 11:49 am.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote