UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2018, 3:40 pm   #1
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Default Portadyne puzzle. ID required.

I wonder if anyone can identlfy this strange Portadyne?
I found it literally in a barn, and took pity on it.
It had no mains lead, and the telltale stump of a linecord cut off inside the set.
Briefly, I fitted a series capacitor heater feed, and did away with the valve rectifier in favour of a silicon diode etc. to reduce heat generation in the small cabinet. Works very well now, aligned and generally fettled. All valves were O.K., and original, I suspect, too.
The strange thing about it is that it has medium and short waves only, but the station names are those one would expect to find in the U.K. at the time.
If it was a "Planters" model, I would see no point in having U.K. station names on the dial, and expect tropical bands to be available as well. Most odd.
I cannot find any reference to it, or anyting similar, despite much searching of the net.
Anyone know of it, or a similar model?
Incidentally, the orange paxolin sheet fastened to the inside of the back is to prevent fingers contacting the second I.F. can, which sits right against the back panel! Tony.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Portadyne General view.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	171352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portadyne puzzler.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	171353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Portadyne Rear.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	171354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Internals.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	171355  

Last edited by boxdoctor; 22nd Oct 2018 at 3:45 pm.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 5:01 pm   #2
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: Portadyne puzzle. ID required.

I've found Portadyne sets hard to identify, I have 3, and all of them have nothing on their backs indicating a model number.
All you get is "Portadyne" on the scale.
The set I have closest to yours is this one I restored a few years ago, late 1940's I suspect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07750.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	171357  
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 5:21 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The MU5 was a 1946-7 midget set for MW and SW. A substantial thread on it here, but no general photo of the cabinet or chassis:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=117858

It does seem to have been marketed in the UK, at £15. 8s. 9d., but will have been a hard sell without LW.

Paul
Old 24th Oct 2018, 5:52 pm   #4
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Thank you both for the suggestions.
MurphyNut, your cabinet is very like mine except for the positions of the controls. It may be a similar set. As matter of interest, what wave-bands does yours cover? My bet is that it is the same basic circuit. Thanks for the pics.
Paul, Thanks for the link to the other thread. Seems like the same one.
Its well-made for the time (? immediate posr-war), and has an aluminium chassis.
I think the mystery of the model number may never be solved! Its a "curiosity", but, personally, I rather like it. Tony
Closed Thread