UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2018, 8:16 pm   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Sanyo MGP11G Clunk

Hi, I have just bought a sanyo personal cassette player (Walkman) but when I play a tape inside, it clunks, it only clunks when a tape is in.

If I fast forward or rewind, there is not clunk, or clicking, with a tape in or out.
When a tape is out and I press play, it runs smoothly, I have tried 3 different tapes (which work in my home system) and I have tried 3 different pairs of batteries.

I'm a bit stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 10:16 pm   #2
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Sanyo MGP11G Clunk

Could it be its a DD player and the little cog has snapped?
Old 19th Oct 2018, 11:27 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

Check there is no 'protrusion' / tooth missing or worn down off one of the spindles. If there is, the cassette hub will not be centred during fast wind and will move eccentrically, causing the noise. Had this with a Technics deck years ago.
Old 19th Oct 2018, 2:05 pm   #4
19Seventy7
Octode

Thank you, I will have a look.
Mine works in fast forward and rewind, but it only happens when it plays.

Thanks
Old 19th Oct 2018, 4:30 pm   #5
19Seventy7
Octode

I just opened up my player to find that the cause of the clunking is the metal fast forward/rewind plate is knocking against the selectors. I also found out the belt is too slack, and putting some tightness on the belt seems to stop it.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement belt for a MGP11? I've looked on ebay and the closest I can find is a MG11. Will this fit mine?
Closed Thread