UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Old 27th Apr 2016, 8:33 pm   #1281
Dekatron
Octode

Default Re: The "Sussex" Homebrew Valve Tester.

Hi all!

A short while ago Martin (G8UWM-MildMartin) asked if someone could help with a new improved PCB since he had sold all of his. I offered to help and now I have a first (actually version 4) design that I am putting some pictures of here for everyone to have a look at and if possible check the circuit diagram so I didn't make any mistakes. Martin (G8UWM-MildMartin) and I have checked it against the original circuit diagram but there might still be mistakes made by me (I made a wrong symbol for the MJE350 and found an error in the bridge rectifier library!). I redraw the parts I need of the circuit diagram in Designspark V7.1 as I use that program for all of my PCBs. I did not draw the switches, buttons and other parts that are off of the PCB, only what's on the PCB as I did some of the switches as separate circuit diagrams (I'll show those in the next post).

I have added one capacitor on the negative track as I was unsure if the relays would induce spikes when they were tripped as they are on the negative line for the oscillator and grid volts line, C20. I also put two LM317s on the board with their own heat sink, this will save one wafer on the heater switch and since only one will be used at any time they won't draw that much standby current not producing a lot of heat. I also added a heat sink to the MJE350, might be unnecessary but might be useful if something goes wrong. I also removed R3 as I couldn't find a reason for it - if there will ever be a need for a gate resistor and ferrite bead on the gate they should be mounted as close as possible to the gate anyway. I used connectors with a 5 millimeter spacing as those seems to be more common than other spacings. You can chose from a wide variety of connectors or solder the wires directly if you want, for the heater connectors and for the meter supply voltages I only used connectors for the wires coming from the transformer and solder pads for the other sides as I didn't know what connectors the meters might have, some come with wires and some without. All components have been put on one PCB, except for the resistors/capacitors found on the switches (Anode, Screen, Electrode and Function) as I made separate PCBs for Lorlin switches for those. You can use screw terminals or male-female sets for the connectors.

Martin (G8UWM-MildMartin) said that he could try a first batch of these to check them, but before that I appreciate any input, especially if you find something wrong or if you have comments on stuff that I ought to change.

I will post the Designspark files as well as Gerber files and a plot that can be printed on a laser printer for DIY people. I usually use Elecrow (www.elecrow.com) for my PCBs and Martin (G8UWM-MildMartin) might do that too as they are cheap and produce very good PCBs I think - I have used them a lot. This PCB will of course be free for anyone to use, I will not put any copyright on it nor will I ask for any royalty, I made It because I wanted to give something back to the forum and its users!

So, here are the pictures for everyone to have a look at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V4-text-tracks.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	123547   Click image for larger version

Name:	V4-tracks.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	123548   Click image for larger version

Name:	V4-text.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	123549   Click image for larger version

Name:	V4-3D-above.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	123550  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schematic Design_ Sussex-PCB-V4.pdf (70.0 KB, 413 views)
Old 27th Apr 2016, 8:37 pm   #1282
Dekatron
Octode

Hi All,

As I wrote above I made some separate PCBs for the switches and here they are. I didn't put any picture of the Function switch here as it only consists of a few wires.

I made round PCBs as I think it looks good and it also save material and weight. I made these PCBs for the Lorlin CK1054 PCB mounted rotary switches but I can easily adapt them to other switches.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Switch-4.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	123551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch-5.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	123552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch-6.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	123553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch-1.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	123554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch-2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	123555  

Old 27th Apr 2016, 8:45 pm   #1283
Dekatron
Octode

Hi All,

I've uploaded ZIP-archive of all of the pictures so you can view them in high resolution.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sussex-PCB.zip (1.39 MB, 334 views)
File Type: zip Sussex-SWITCH-PCB-V4.zip (562.5 KB, 283 views)
Old 27th Apr 2016, 8:55 pm   #1284
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Martin, a great effort that I'm sure will be much appreciated.
I wonder what the grand total of Sussex's built is now? I've done over 70 transformers for them.

Ed
Ed_Dinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2016, 10:10 am   #1285
mole42uk
Nonode

Hi Martin, I would be happy to try out one of the first batch.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Apr 2016, 11:30 am   #1286
Bobdger
Hexode

Hi Martin

A very good job, Thanks.

Bob
Old 28th Apr 2016, 7:02 pm   #1287
Dekatron
Octode

Hi All,

Spotted one error today while doing a check of the rotary switches, the 3 Pole 4 Way switch had the wrong pinout at the center. I corrected it and have added the Electrode and Function switch PCBs here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Switch-1.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	123634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch-2.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	123635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch-3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	123636  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Switch-3P4W.zip (287.3 KB, 216 views)
Old 9th May 2016, 8:47 pm   #1288
Dekatron
Octode

Hi all,

Finally! I've ordered the first batch of PCBs so that I can check the design to make sure that all components fit properly and show some photos of what I was thinking when I put them there.

I've re-routed the PCB as I wanted to move the heater relay closer to the common ground point to reduce the length of the ground trace. When I was doing that I had to move other components to make space for the relay and the moving of the low voltage heater section with the two LM317s. So it looks like a new PCB compared to the old one.

I just ordered the main PCB as I am not going to build a Sussex myself, I have to many other valve testers (which will be sold soon anyway) but I'll keep one PCB myself. I'll send the rest to Martin as soon as they have been checked by me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	V6-text-tracks.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	124270   Click image for larger version

Name:	V6-tracks.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	124271   Click image for larger version

Name:	V6-text.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	124272   Click image for larger version

Name:	V6-3D-above.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	124273  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schematic Design_ Sussex-PCB-V6.pdf (72.0 KB, 367 views)
Old 9th May 2016, 8:49 pm   #1289
Dekatron
Octode

Hi all,

Here's the ZIP-file with the high reslution screen shots.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sussex-PCB-V6.zip (1.45 MB, 286 views)
Old 17th May 2016, 8:32 am   #1290
Dekatron
Octode

Hi all,

The boards have been produced and are en route to me, hopefully they'll be at my home in a few weeks time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	33774 - Kopia.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	124598  
Old 18th May 2016, 10:41 am   #1291
mole42uk
Nonode

Good news! Please let me know when you have them, I'd like to use one in a rebuild of my Sussex.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2016, 3:06 pm   #1292
Dekatron
Octode

I'll pass all PCBs, except one or two that I'll keep for reference, onto G8UWM-MildMartin so he can distribute them in the UK, it would simply be too costly to ship them from Sweden where I live, the Swedish Post have outrageous shipping costs.

G8UWM-MildMartin and I will keep you all updated on when the PCBs have arrived and at least one Sussex has been built and tested with them. As I've said before I won't build one myself as I already have too many valve testers.
Old 25th May 2016, 11:06 am   #1293
Dekatron
Octode

Hi all,

The PCBs have arrived!

Now I'll ship ten of them to Martin (G8UWM-MildMartin) so he can build the first one and check it out. I just checked them so that the components fit, see the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_4224.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	124964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_4225.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	124965  
Old 25th May 2016, 4:56 pm   #1294
KeithsTV
Nonode

Let me know how they work out and I'll produce an update for the manual.

Keith
KeithsTV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 10:17 pm   #1295
Bobdger
Hexode

Hi Martin
Please let me know how to buy one of your new PCB's.
Thanks, Bob.
Old 25th May 2016, 10:52 pm   #1296
Dekatron
Octode

Bobdger, please contact Martin (G8UWM-MildMartin) regarding buying one of this first batch of ten (10) main PCBs, he will handle it in the UK. I live in Sweden and we unfortunately have crazy shipping costs to foreign countries. I don't know if all ten PCBs have been spoken for or not.

As soon as the first PCB has been built by Martin (G8UWM-MildMartin) and it works as intended I will publish the files here for anyone to use. If more people want professionally made PCBs we'll have to see how we set that up, maybe Martin (G8UWM-MildMartin) can order more directly instead of going through me (this time I wanted to make sure that all components fit properly, which they did before shipping the PCBs to him). Then we can also order the switch PCBs if people are interested in those, I didn't order them this time around as I couldn't afford them and didn't hear any comments on if anyone wanted them.
Old 19th Jun 2016, 1:19 am   #1297
G8UWM-MildMartin
Heptode

I have built a PCB and tested the oscillator, the screen grid and anode circuits (off load, not checked the current limit with the little heatsinks which were all I had) and the 1.4-V and 2-V regulated outputs.
The oscillator output increased by 5% as it warmed up and the HT outputs about the same.
It is stable without electrolytics C101 & C102 on the outputs of the LM317s.
I used BC327s instead of obsolete BC307s and R31 is 10K (as per post 1234) and D1 is two 1N4003s in series.
I couldn't find presets to fit, so improvised.
I haven't checked the functions of the two auxiliary relays, but the HT one is OK switching 330VDC.
Martin-Dekatron in Sweden has done an excellent job of improving the original very good design!

They are now released for sale and the cost is £6.70 + UK 2nd class postage of 75p, i.e. £7.45.

I can be contacted by PM here and my email address is in Keith's handbook.
G8UWM-MildMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jun 2016, 5:06 pm   #1298
Dekatron
Octode

Thanks for building the first one Martin!

There is only one thing that is missing from the PCBs and that is the text layer, the manufacturer wanted a lot more money to add it to the component print since the PCBs were on the verge of being produced when they asked me (it was in a separate text layer) so I decided to skip that - in the latest revision (which hasn't been produced) I moved the text to the component print layer so there won't be any extra cost.

As soon as a few of these PCBs have been built and no problems found I'll publish the Designspark files as well as 1:1 prints that can be used for making your own PCBs from.
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 12:36 pm   #1299
Mark James
Hexode

I would be interested in the switch PCB's if there is enough interest to order a batch. I am planning to build it as this winters project.

Mark
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2016, 1:22 pm   #1300
Dekatron
Octode

Mark, I'll let everyone know if I order any switch PCBs. Due to the cost of these I need at least ten people who want a set, otherwise it will be cheaper for people to make their own switch PCBs.