UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2018, 8:13 pm   #1
ragaman17
Retired Dormant Member

Default DAT (digital audio tape) Casio DA R100 recorder

I have an old Casio DA R100 DAT recorder (great compact machine and it still works fine) and want to upload the content of a slew of DAT tapes onto a Mac.
I clearly want to get a digital copy, not a line analog copy: the Casio has a coaxial in/out (mini-jack) socket and a normal analog line out socket (see attached photo), and my old white Macbook has a SPDIF input/line-in mini-phone 3.5 mm/TOSLINK so I could take a direct line into that.

The problem is I don't seem to have the original digital cable that the machine came with to do this, so I need to get a cable to go straight from coaxial out to the S/PDIF input on the Mac. + I can't see how the cable in the other attached diagrams (mini-jack to double RCA) will connect between the DAT and Mac. I've asked in th city here, but no-one has a clue. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 11th Dec 2018, 10:10 pm   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: DAT (digital audio tape) Casio DA R100 recorder

Have you tried an ordinary short shielded RCA to RCA lead with suitable adaptor plugs? Note : This is not like USB where the receiver controls the speed of transfer. The computer must be available to receive the data 100 % of the time the tape runs. I used my M Audio sound card which is equipped with a dedicated SPDIF input and run with recording software designed for this task
Old 11th Dec 2018, 10:20 pm   #3
Mark_RR
Tetrode

I assume you want to do the copy in the digital domain to avoid losses. The Macbook has a mini-Toslink digital input, which is optical. You say the DAT has a coaxial output, which usually implies electical (though I've never seen an electrical digital output on a mini-jack - doesn't mean they don't exist though). So, if that is the case, you will need a coaxial to optical converter as well as the necessary cables.

If the digital output is optical, then all you need is a mini-Toslink to mini-Toslink cable.

Can you clarify the type of digital output? The photo hasn't appered yet (needs moderator checking for a new member).
Old 12th Dec 2018, 3:42 am   #4
quiberon
Triode

If it works the same way as my old Aiwa HD-S1 Dat Recorder which also has a digital co-axial output via mini-jack.

You would need a 3.5mm stereo mini jack to two RCA phone, as the connection is electrical rather than optical input/output.

On my Aiwa the red plug is input to the unit and the white plug is output from the unit.
Closed Thread