UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2013, 11:06 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Amstrad PC1640 fault.

Hi all,

I have been asked to look at a faulty Amstrad PC1640. The fault is with the monitor, there is no life on the screen at all. There's no EHT and the heaters aren't lit but it is partially working as the base unit is powering up/floppy drives responding (base unit gets it's power from the monitor). I've checked around the diodes, high wattage resistors and a few transistors and looked for bulging caps etc but nothing obvious looks amiss.

I was wondering if there are any common component failures that could cause this? The only other option I can see is to find an 8-bit compatible VGA card and hack a standard ATX power supply onto it but would like to get it functioning as it should be.

Many thanks,

Kev
Old 30th May 2013, 10:02 pm   #2
g8jzyian
Pentode

Default Re: Amstrad PC1640 fault.

Hi

I found the circuit diagram if will help, It's at http://archive.org/details/amstrad-p...service-manual

Best of luck

Ian
Old 30th May 2013, 11:30 pm   #3
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Many thanks Ian

I lucked out, found another monitor with opposite fault, tube working but no supply for the base unit. Dead STK regulator and o/c feed resistor. Manual will be help as I will hopefully be able to get the original one working too!

Cheers,

Kev
Old 6th Jun 2013, 8:59 pm   #4
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Hi all,

Quick update, success at last with the unit that had no EHT. Again a dead STK regulator and o/c feed resistor were replaced but it still refused to power up. After much head scratching and going around the circuit a couple of times it turned out to be a 0.22uF 50v electrolytic cap next to the STK. I had already checked this, it read ok on the LCR bridge and the ESR looked fine but after replacement it fired up just fine

Cheers,

Kev
Closed Thread