UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jun 2018, 8:57 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Nonode

Default Old Sets Salvaged & Restored

I've read A few threads here on people getting old TVs for free, either from friends & family, or simply saved from a recycling centre or fished out a skip.

I did wonder if there had been any thought on having a section for members to feature their restoration projects, especially for sets that seemed to beyond saving.
Old 19th Jun 2018, 9:08 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Old Sets Salvaged & Restored

I agree that these stories make great reading. There are plenty in the Success Stories section if you look.

Nick.
Old 21st Jun 2018, 11:08 am   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

The main reason why TV restoration is less commonplace is the key component - the CRT.
In the case of radio and audio gear, parts are widely available, and often still in manufacture. Never thought old CRT's would be hoarded !
Old 21st Jun 2018, 11:10 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I've read A few threads here on people getting old TVs for free, either from friends & family, or simply saved from a recycling centre or fished out a skip.

I did wonder if there had been any thought on having a section for members to feature their restoration projects, especially for sets that seemed to beyond saving.
And one set was fished out of the sea!

David
Old 21st Jun 2018, 11:53 am   #5
davyrocket2
Pentode

There does still seem to be a fair amount of sets turning up, but one thing that surprises me is how quickly VHS seems to have gone out of fashion and that the digital signal is still unreliable compared the old system.
Old 21st Jun 2018, 1:35 pm   #6
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
The main reason why TV restoration is less commonplace is the key component - the CRT.
In the case of radio and audio gear, parts are widely available, and often still in manufacture. Never thought old CRT's would be hoarded !
LOPTs seemed to be another component that can condemn a set if a replacement can't be sourced.
Old 21st Jun 2018, 1:40 pm   #7
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyrocket2 View Post
There does still seem to be a fair amount of sets turning up, but one thing that surprises me is how quickly VHS seems to have gone out of fashion and that the digital signal is still unreliable compared the old system.
I imagine some people managed to keep analogue sets going with Freeview boxes until they have got round to replacing them with smaller digital ones.

My parents have recently got rid of their last analogue set, which was in the spare bedroom & hardly used.

Also it seems a lot of people put their old sets into storage when they bought a new TV, only getting rid of them when they had a clearout.
Old 21st Jun 2018, 7:57 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, LOPTS can usually be salvaged if the pri(s) are faulty. Overwinds are another thing again, but the set will normally work and run cooler with the overwind removed and another source of EHT.

I'm presently working on (don't hold your breath) an SMPS EHT generator that will run from the sets HT rail and produce up to say 12KV adjustable. It should be small enough to fit inside most cabinets.
I intend to publish the design when it is complete.

Ed
Closed Thread