UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2018, 9:12 am   #1
John10b
Heptode

Default Oscilloscope

Basic scope required, minimum 10mhz bandwidth, for occasional use restoring vintage Radios and Record Players.
I have a number of Test Records and I want to measure the output from the various cartridges I have collected over the years.
Cheers
John
Old 14th Jun 2018, 11:53 am   #2
jim221
Pentode

Default Re: Oscilloscope

Hi John, for a cheap oscilloscope I don't think you can beat the miniature DS201. Hand held portable which i have used over the past few years. Costs about £70. I think it has been updated recently but it can be updated via the internet anyway.
regards
Jim
Old 14th Jun 2018, 12:23 pm   #3
David Simpson
Octode

Ask around Forum folk for a decent HAMEG203 or GOULD OS300. There is a number of these ex college scopes floating around. 2 Channel/10MHz bandwidth, 1980's/90's. Should cost less than 70 quid. Avoid internet auction sites unless they offer a guaranteed return/refund package.
BVWS Swap Meets are a worthwhile option. And there are a number of Forum/BVWS folk who can repair them.

Regards, David
Old 14th Jun 2018, 12:30 pm   #4
turretslug
Nonode

This is a textbook example of the sort of request that produces (101)n different recommendations from 101 members.... but you could do worse than search out a Philips PM3232 10MHz dual-trace, these seem to be quite common, I assume that they were a large-scale college/institution purchase way back when. All-discrete, jelly-bean transistors, good sensitivity, good triggering performance including TV line/field. Genuine 2x Y-pair CRT, so no trace-multiplexing to confuse or fail, pin-sharp and bright PDA tube, straight-forward, cool-running and (relatively!) safe Royer oscillator PSU with 24V supply option. They are quite large, though, as a result of the all-discrete circuitry and the almost OTT metal castings used in the construction but that does mean that they are easier to work on than many with higher-faluting spec.

I bought a PM3206 (15MHz, dual- (electronic multiplex) trace, single TB) for £2 the other day, mended with a new 7912 for a whopping 49p and also quite common- but its '80s all-plastic construction and close-packed PSU with mains EHT, mean that it's not one I would recommend around,

Good luck, Colin
Old 14th Jun 2018, 7:44 pm   #5
John10b
Heptode

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions,I will keep looking.
Cheers
John
Old 14th Jun 2018, 8:12 pm   #6
turretslug
Nonode

There are lots of 'scopes around at the "hobbyist" level, as lots of school physics labs, colleges etc. used them- but, a little like military surplus electronics, a selection at similar prices could encompass everything from abused and just-functioning dogs to really nice examples with many years left in them, so it takes thoughtful and eagle-eyed selection. Some (like me) quite like the challenge of a bargain that may or may not work out, others just want a to spend a bit more on a functioning tool for pressing straight into service but it's worth bearing in mind that just about any analogue CRT 'scope will have a lot of years under its belt by now. The Tek 465 probably ranks as just about the all time favourite all-rounder with excellent bandwidth and facilities- but even the newest 'B' ones are old enough to be a potential reliability headache by now, they are complex and close-packed inside and not the easiest to work on with some spares difficulties. As mentioned, I quite respect Philips 'scopes for basic facilities usage- others will doubtless differ- but there were a great many different models made for a wide price and usage range.
Old 15th Jun 2018, 12:49 am   #7
Skywave
Dekatron

Just a quick comment. "10 MHz B/W" is the response at -3 dB. If you're intending to use it for reliably measuring signal levels, it will probably be 'flat' to about only 3 MHz. (Measurement accuracy could be even less, depending on the B/W of the probe you use with it).

Al.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 4:54 pm   #8
woodchips
Heptode

Sorted?

I have an Iwatsu DMS-510 spare. Single channel, 1us and x10 maximum sweep speed, a very, very, early DSO with negligible sample rate but basic scope works ok. FOC, just postage to pay, or collect.

Umm, don't think so, a 10MHz bandwidth scope will be good to far beyond 3MHz. Any normal scope will have peaking on the Y amplifier, and would normally be pretty flat to 9MHz or so. This is one of the nice things about a sampling scope, the Y channel has no peaking or similar, I have had an S2, rated to 4.5GHz happily displaying 10GHz, ok, 3dB down, ie half, but working well.
Old 17th Jun 2018, 7:36 pm   #9
John10b
Heptode

Thank you for that kind offer, I know absolutely nothing about the Iwatsu DMS 510 scope, other than what you said. I Havel looked but can find no reference to it. Is there any chance of a picture or two please.
Cheers
John
Old 18th Jun 2018, 10:49 am   #10
woodchips
Heptode

Photos attached.

Shows a 1MHz signal from an rf generator at 0dBm. The scope is at -3dB at 20MHz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010039.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	164832   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010040.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	164833   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010041.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	164834   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010042.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	164835   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010043.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	164836  

Old 18th Jun 2018, 1:49 pm   #11
John10b
Heptode

Thank you Woodchip for the pics, it looks in lovely condition but I think it is over complicated for my basic needs, so I will decline your offer, and wait for a more simpler scope to be on offer.
May I once again thank you for your time and generous offer.
Cheers
John
Old 18th Jun 2018, 2:17 pm   #12
Skywave
Dekatron

Arrow Re: Oscilloscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
Umm, don't think so, a 10MHz bandwidth scope will be good to far beyond 3MHz. Any normal scope will have peaking on the Y amplifier, and would normally be pretty flat to 9MHz or so.
When you say a 'normal' 'scope, are you referring to an all-analogue type? If so, a 'scope with a stated x MHz B/W, will, in my experience, be most unlikely to have a flat response (i.e. ± 1dB) to 90% of that figure. OTOH, if you are referring to a sampling 'scope, then you may well be correct: I have only a small experience of using such-like for the reasonably accurate measurement of signal levels.

Al.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 3:04 pm   #13
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Think I might have an old Telequipment scope somewhere, it's a valved. It's very simple and will be easy to work on if you get a fault. I'll dig it out, see if it works and get back to you.

Andy.
Old 18th Jun 2018, 6:31 pm   #14
John10b
Heptode

Thank you Andy
Cheers
John
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 6:42 pm   #15
John10b
Heptode

Got to be quick on the “Offered “ section, within about seven minutes a decent scope had been offered and sold.
I hope that Andy will be able to get his old scope working, which he has offered me.
Cheers
John
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 9:24 pm   #16
robinshack
Heptode

Yes John, you need to be very quick. That scope was just what you needed, shame there wasn't a hat. You would have been a most deserving candidate. Free items are very soon descended on. Don't give up, I am sure you will find something.
Rob
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 10:45 pm   #17
John10b
Heptode

Thank you Robishack for your kind comments, it would be nice to have a scope and I will keep looking, must be quicker off the mark!
Cheers
John
Old 22nd Jun 2018, 11:35 pm   #18
Steve_Bell
Hexode

John,
I can offer you an Isotech ISR620 20MHz dual channel scope (originally sold through RS Components, stock no. 204-476) for £30 including postage.

Shown working with traces from the 2Vpp, 1KHz reference source; first with screen illumination off and then on.

regards,
Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0681.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	165072   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0686.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	165073  
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 7:26 am   #19
John10b
Heptode

Thank you Steve I would like to accept your offer, I will let Andy know and send you a pm.
Cheers
John
Old 23rd Jun 2018, 7:28 am   #20
mole42uk
Octode

Hi John, I have two or three nice, working 20MHz ‘scopes here in Bristol, any of which could be yours for the asking. PM for details if you wish.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Closed Thread