UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2017, 10:52 pm   #21
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Avo 8 movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
I have an Avo 8 Mk III whose movement stuck randomly when I first got it. Cleaning debris out of the magnet gap fixed it:

https://martin-jones.com/2013/07/24/avometer-8-repair/

Chris
That's a good write up there. Very interesting, I'd need to build some confidence up first though!
Old 23rd Dec 2017, 10:58 pm   #22
cmjones01
Nonode

Thank you. I was a bit apprehensive about diving in to the movement but, with care, it was easier than I expected to get it all working. A good magnifier helps. I did my work at the office using the stereo microscope I use for surface mount rework!

Chris
Old 25th Dec 2017, 12:34 am   #23
Sinewave
Octode

Well how about a bit of Christmas eve joy.

Being a bit apprehensive of getting the movement out, I thought to myself there's a mark 4 sat there which I've had for ages which doesn't work at all, on any range, dead as a do do.

So I carefully looked at your thread and my mark 4 and took the movement out. Connected it up to my loop calibrator and slowly brought the current up. Suddenly the movement came alive! Great, so the movement in my mark 4 works at least!

I'd never been able to find a fault in the actual meter itself before. So, put the movement back and thought I'll give it another go and start tracing the fault again.

Low and behold, now the meter is working! Tested DC and AV volts and DC milli and micro amps so far.

Maybe I'd disturbed a bad connection and got it going again?

Still haven't opened the mark 6 yet.
Old 25th Dec 2017, 11:05 pm   #24
The Philpott
Dekatron

Time will tell on that one! A few trips in the car (with the attendant temperature fluctuation and vibration) might show up whether you have one of those niggly make and break tiny flaws within the movement coil. I did on one occasion feed the meter with 14v from the cigar lighter to try and flush out a duff connection on a short journey on poor roads.
Old 26th Dec 2017, 10:10 am   #25
Sinewave
Octode

We'll see if it stays working. What I ought to do is put it in its own thread as there are some other things to sort out and in its own thread it'll be a useful resource for the Mk4.

In the meanwhile, do you have any good loupe recommendations?
Old 26th Dec 2017, 6:51 pm   #26
The Philpott
Dekatron

Mine were cheapies, round rather than eye shaped, i think they came off a Norwich market stall for a couple of quid! Glass lenses, of course. If you gurn you can hold one in your eye socket, but i have also used them as hand held magnifiers. X2 x5 and x10 seems to cover everything i have tackled so far (Avominor movements are a bit of a challenge though)
My other half has just got me a x13 loupe made by Carson, off of the interweb ( not sure where though) I don't think i shall need anything stronger than that.

I have a Rolson loupe, where the glass simply fell out, so if that's an indication of their overall quality control they might be one to examine closely before buying.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 4:23 pm   #27
Sinewave
Octode

An update here on the origin of this thread.

Never had time to delve inside it until now.......

That 8 Mk 5 I can confirm has an open circuit in the coil. So, with the movement confirmed useless, this is a parts donor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8Mk5 movement oc.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	164410   Click image for larger version

Name:	8Mk5 movement oc2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	164411  
Old 11th Jun 2018, 5:19 pm   #28
Sinewave
Octode

Right, well that's two parts already coming off it, one for another mark 5 and the other for a mark 6.
Old 11th Jun 2018, 5:21 pm   #29
The Philpott
Dekatron

They sometimes go intermittent before they fail altogether, my father had one which took longer than normal to diagnose because it would be dead one day then working the next.

(Rolson Jewellers loupe fixed- they had forgotten to glue the retaining washer in at the factory)
Old 11th Jun 2018, 5:29 pm   #30
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
They sometimes go intermittent before they fail altogether, my father had one which took longer than normal to diagnose because it would be dead one day then working the next.

(Rolson Jewellers loupe fixed- they had forgotten to glue the retaining washer in at the factory)
What was it the retaining washer for?
Old 11th Jun 2018, 5:43 pm   #31
The Philpott
Dekatron

It was (failing) to hold the glass into the body of the loupe. It was only a loose fit so must be intended to be glued
Old 11th Jun 2018, 6:03 pm   #32
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
It was (failing) to hold the glass into the body of the loupe. It was only a loose fit so must be intended to be glued
Oh, you mean the loupe and not the Avo?

I'm slightly confused, but then again it's been a hot day and there's a bottle of Chenin Blanc on the go.