UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2016, 11:14 am   #1
davegsm82
Heptode

Default Intel 87C196KDH - Can anyone read it?

I have a processor which I need to read the code from, I'm looking in particular for text strings rather than code disassembly or anything like that.

I have no idea if the code is write protected but it's worth a shot either way.

Dave.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:16 pm   #2
SnowyDog
Triode

Default Re: Intel 87C196KDH - Can anyone read it?

Hi Dave

Not sure if you already have it but I found the datasheet for this device - attached. What package is your chip in (prefix letter to the main part number)?

Your chip is the 87 version which has 32KB OTPROM. I also notice that the datasheet mentions a OTPROM security key which suggests there might be protection.

Anyway to my knowledge there are two ways to attempt dumping the internal ROM. The first is to try using the programming interface but this probably won't work though as often the processor only contains logic that will write to the memory).

The second is to write code to dump the internal ROM using the processor itself. I have done this successfully on the Intel 8049 by getting the processor to boot from external memory and then redirecting ROM accesses from external to internal ROM.

This might be possible on your chip but it is not a 5 minute job. Of course the processor has to be fully functional.

Cheers
Robin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 87C196KD.pdf (380.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 12th May 2016, 11:07 pm   #3
davegsm82
Heptode

Default Re: Intel 87C196KDH - Can anyone read it?

Hi Robin,

I had a tentative look at the datasheet but I was mainly looking for details of the programming interface.

The processor is fully functional, I have access to the unit it's from too.

The package is a 68 pin PLCC type, unfortunately I don't have a spare holder and although I can do limited modifications to the original unit I probably can't modify it too much.

I've mused the idea of trying to get it to run a bootloader and redirect to external ROM to spit the internal memory out through RS232 or one of the 8-bit ports, however I know nothing about the architecture of this device so I suspect I may already be fighting a losing battle. I'm familiar with PIC and Atmel stuff but not these mysteryboxes.

Dave.
Closed Thread