UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2015, 11:33 pm   #1
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Default Intellivision - suddenly black and white picture and hissing sound

This one currently has me puzzled. It worked perfectly for years, then one day I turned it on and had the problems in the title. It hasn't been sat a long time, I used it the week before. Everything else I tested still seems ok, the picture is stable and I can play games like normal. I'm aware the chips controlling audio and sound can break, but chances are they didn't both go at exactly the same time?

So I took it apart and re-soldered the ugly, suspect looking joints connecting the modulator to the circuit board. I also discovered a ribbon cable connecting the power supply to the circuit board was in very poor, crumbling condition, so I removed it and replaced with some regular wires. These were both worth doing, but haven't solved the problems as nothing has changed.

Any ideas or suggestions where to look next would be much appreciated?
Old 31st Mar 2015, 12:40 am   #2
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Very long time since I repaired an intelivision but like all micros and consoles of a certain age first thing to check is electrolytic capacitors. In particular pay attention to ones round the vicinity of the UHF modulator.

Jay
Old 31st Mar 2015, 7:18 pm   #3
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Intellivision - suddenly black and white picture and hissing sound

Hi Jay,
Thank you for your reply. I did swap out all the electrolytic capacitors on the main board, which wasn't hard as there's only four or five little 10uf ones. But nothing has changed.

I also noticed some of the ceramic capacitors have cracks in their cases, so I'm probably headed there next. I'm also going to explore the cartridge connection, as the service manual suggests lack of colour can be caused by dirty or damaged connections to the cartridge.
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 12:14 pm   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

Does this have an RF connection to your TV? If so, have you double-checked it's tuned in correctly? Being slightly out of tune could do this.
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 9:41 pm   #5
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Hi arjoll,
It's an RF connection. The problem does look and sound exactly like being slightly out of tune. However, I've tried retuning it on the original set, and using another set, and it has the same problems with both.
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 11:25 am   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

If the Intellivision has the usual 'tin can' modulator, one of the pins going into it will be carrying composite colour video (the other two will be power and sound, with the 0V supply being picked up by the connection between the metal body of the modulator and its connection to ground).

Try 'jumping' the composite video signal (and ground) straight to a composite video input on a TV or video monitor. Do you get a normal looking (with colour) picture?
Old 3rd Apr 2015, 1:41 pm   #7
jay_oldstuff
Octode

The modulator is a possibility I’ve had a few colour issues with them in the past on spectrum's. The last intelivision I repaired I did a composite video mod on, it was a long time ago but I seem to remember I had to add a transistor to boost the signal slightly.
have you checked the caps inside the modulator?

Jay
Old 4th Apr 2015, 8:06 pm   #8
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you both for the replies.

I guess replacing the cracked ceramic caps is my next step. I'm not sure why they're cracked, but the general construction quality of this console is unfortunately terrible, so I don't imagine the parts were high quality either.

If that doesn't help, I think a composite conversion is worth trying out. The circuit I found online is pretty simple. It looks like the audio just needs to pass through a single electrolytic capacitor, so I could try that on its own and see if it gives clear audio before attempting anything else more complex with the video signal - although even then it's not massively involved.
Old 24th Jul 2016, 5:14 pm   #9
Mad Mal
Tetrode

Cracked ceramics was a common fault on some early FM receivers in Hi-Fi separates set ups. More so those of Japanese manufacture. Down to age and heating/cooling cycles. But I'd replace any ageing electrolytics first before homing in on the modulator. If it is the modulator it's probably"dry" joints. Common problem in older transistorised TV tuners as well.
Old 25th Jul 2016, 11:45 pm   #10
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mad Mal,
Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately however the intellivision had to go. I wanted to fix it, but had to reconsider that plan. The metal tracks on the PCB were bubbling and going crinkly and cracked across the whole board when I looked closer. It was just too degraded to spend more time on it. Intellivisions aren't particularly rare, although if this wasn't an unlucky example they might be soon... However, I did sell the case on eBay, and to another buyer the controllers (their PCBs weren't bubbling), so it wasn't all a loss. It's good to salvage what you can.
Closed Thread