UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2013, 2:53 pm   #1
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Old Handhelds with dying LCD screens.

I have a Grandstand Mini-Munchman, and a Sega GameGear. Both have been stored away for a while.

When I got them out a few months ago, they both seem to have developed the same problem with the LCD screens. I have to hold them almost flat and look at them bottom on, to see the screens properly.

Why has this happened, and is there anything I can do to reverse it? Thanks
Old 1st Jul 2013, 6:57 pm   #2
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Old Handhelds with dying LCD screens.

I have found with a few "older" devices that use LCD screens that the rubber edge connector inpregnated with carbon "tracks" that fits up against the LCD screen and the lands on the PCB, if it can be gently removed, can be cleaned with IPA or something similar and carefully re-assembled. It usually restores the display...

Robert
Old 2nd Jul 2013, 11:30 pm   #3
davegsm82
Heptode

In the case of the Mini-Munchman, more often than not a feint LCD is either UV light damage or simple lack of battery power. Usually when the Rubber bit (usually known as an 'Elastomer') you will lose segments of the screen but the remaining segments are generally still Dark. I used to have a Mini-Munchman, it was a brilliant little thing, kept me entertained longer than such a simple device probably should have!

In the case of the Game Gear, well this one can most likely be saved, thankfully. I have 2, both suffered from bad caps, I've only got round to repairing 1 of them, which is my original one. Basically there are a load of SM Caps which either leak electrolyte if you're unlucky or most of the time just go high ESR.

Replacing them will restore perfect colour and contrast to the LCD, I was skeptical, until I saw the results. I had it in my head that the LCD on the GameGear was just a bit naff, but its actually quite good. Shame that the TV tuner doesn't work any more!

EDIT: Just found the link I used. Also, another symptom of bad caps is loss or distortion of sound.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/evilt.../ggrepair.html

Dave.

Last edited by davegsm82; 2nd Jul 2013 at 11:42 pm. Reason: Added Link.
Old 4th Jul 2013, 10:52 am   #4
Eidolon
Hexode

I had another look at the Game Gear last night, and it really is in bad shape. If looked at straight on, the screen is green. Overall, when it can be seen from the bottom looking up, it's all really soft as well as 'faded'. Given that I only have 3 games for it, and don't really know what I'm doing, it's probably just going to have to die a death.

Nintendo have started making some of the Game Gear games available for download on the 3DS, so hopefully they will turn up on there. I already have the old Nintenod 'Game & Watch Donkey Kong Jr' on there, something I had back as it's original handheld back in the early 80's.

I've not had a look at the Mini-munchman yet.

Overall, it's left me a bit wary of LCDs, seeing how both of them died like this.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 10th Jul 2013 at 5:32 pm. Reason: Removed off-topic grumble
Old 10th Jul 2013, 12:00 am   #5
davegsm82
Heptode

Eidolon, honestly it's not the screen that's failed, its some rubbish capacitors inside the unit, its quite a simple fix honestly! When the caps go bad then the voltages all go to pot, it means the screen can't be driven properly so it looks washed out and you have to view it from the bottom etc.

Have a look at the following link;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sega-Game-...item1e7241a1c8

If you need someone to repair it for you then get in touch, I'm sure we can sort something out.

Dave.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 10th Jul 2013 at 5:31 pm. Reason: Forum rule compliance
Closed Thread