UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2018, 5:02 pm   #1
Martian Ind
Retired Dormant Member

Default Leak amp Gold chassis

Hi, I am restoring a TL/12 amp with a gold chassis. Does anyone know where I can obtain the original colour for the chassis.? I plan to paint the transformer casing, as the main chassis is OK.

Thanks Martin
Old 1st Apr 2018, 7:55 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Leak amp Gold chassis

If you could take the colour required in,Halfords might mix you a spray.
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 12:02 pm   #3
mark2collection
Hexode

My father had a Rover which left the factory in Cashmere Gold, this was a very close match to the original (MKI) Troughline.

There were two flavours from Leak, one was more of a Champagne shade (pale gold), the other was a pretty intense, almost yellow-gold ... The Rover colour being close to the former.

Mark
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 12:19 pm   #4
bikerhifinut
Octode

Your TL12+ is the later "bronze" colour. It will have faded a bit now. theres a "Plastikote" spray colour available from B & Q and cheaper still from B & M bargains that gets close.
Are those transformer caps so far gone that a good clean wont get them somewhere like, albeit with a "Patina" of use and age, which personally I rather like.

Andy.
Old 2nd Apr 2018, 2:22 pm   #5
Martian Ind
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all your input, I don't intend spraying the transformers, rather a light brushing. Andy is correct in as much as I like to retain as much of the original patina as possible. There is a lot of dirt and grime, but also a lot of fading has gone on. Ideally would like the original RAL or BS equivalent in a paint pot. I other restorations I have tried spraying paint into a container then painting it on with a brush, but it always seems very watery. Presumably the originals were sprayed?? I think the Pot will be OK its the transformers which look very tired.

Once again thanks for all your input.

M
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 2:29 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Isn't it odd that the closest match for either the gold Leak or the grey Quad IIs are both Rover car colours? Must be a British thing!
Closed Thread