UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2018, 12:00 am   #21
electrogram
Heptode

Default Re: BSR turntable autochanger not working on 33rpm

have to disagree with post 19, the fitting on the pin should be free to rotate, but often it is frozen solid due to dried grease. if you look under the deck while moving the pickup arm you will see an assembly moving to which is attached a plastic five pointed star. this is mounted on a pin. the star is normaly fairly tight on the pin but it can be too tight due to dried grease. the star and pin should be thoroughly cleaned, removing all traces of grease, and fresh GREASE , not oil or wd40, applied
Old 27th Jun 2018, 5:22 am   #22
john.north
Pentode

Re:- Post 21. The pin I was referring to comes up through the deck and runs in the groove of the cam gear.
John.
Old 27th Jun 2018, 9:06 am   #23
john.north
Pentode

Hello,I have had a senior moment! Finally and correctly the pin that comes up through the deck and engages in the main cam groove does not turn as I said but the collar on the pin should spin round.
John.
Old 27th Jun 2018, 9:45 am   #24
John10b
Nonode

Purely from looking and listening to your video, I would say the motor and idler wheel are working very hard to try and rotate turntable and thus it seems that something is sticking or fouling, I know that may sound obvious but it possibly rules out those parts.
As others have said investigate the mechanism and try moving parts with your fingers ( turn off supply first of course), you may free it up!
Cheers
John
Old 27th Jun 2018, 11:12 am   #25
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Assume the 2 transit screws are allowing the deck to "float", when you put the deck back into the plinth, could the underside mechanism underneath be fouling the leads to the amplifier board and mains?
Old 27th Jun 2018, 9:02 pm   #26
jackcoom53
Diode

Reply to post 23, thank you for correcting me there and I can say that the collar does not spin at all. I am sure that it did when I was cleaning off the old grease, so I will see if I can free it up. So that I don't make the same mistake again, what kind of grease should I use and where would I buy it from as the only grease that I don't have is either automotive grease or silicone grease. I do have silicone oil as well as 3in1 but I suppose using them is also a no, no!
Old 28th Jun 2018, 9:34 am   #27
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Automotive grease is often recommended, but if you don't have any you could try petroleum jelly (Vaseline) if you have some.
Old 28th Jun 2018, 9:49 am   #28
paulsherwin

You can use a small amount of oil to get things working and confirm the fault is fixed, but you will then need to relubricate every year or so. Be sparing as the oil will tend to creep. Grease does last much longer, though most automotive greases do dry out eventually if exposed to the air.

Bicycle grease is another suitable grease, both bearing grease and the stuff sold to lubricate chains. Some of this can be pricey though.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 12:54 pm   #29
jackcoom53
Diode

Hello everyone,

A drum roll please!

It is now sorted (fingers crossed)!

Thank you to everyone for your very good advice and I am sure that without it I would still be scratching my head and pulling out of what remains of my hair!

The problem was indeed the collar! It took about an hour or so of applying heat with a soldering iron, after the first 20 mins or so the collar started to turn but as soon as the grease started to cool down the collar would start to seize up again, so I just kept applying the heat and letting it cool down then test the collar and after about an hour or so success. So I left it for about 5 hours then tested it and it still worked so excellent and also the spring on the idler wheel did need adjusting so I tweaked that but not by much.

So I just want to say thank you all very much indeed for all your help and guidance and as a celebration I am going to throw a party for one and play some classic albums tonight!

Thank you everyone

Jacky (a very happy chappie)
Old 29th Jun 2018, 3:04 pm   #30
julie_m
Dekatron

Well done!

Sometimes when parts are stuck together with dried-out grease, and especially when you haven't got a known good example up close and personal that you can refer to, it's not obvious what is supposed to move and what isn't.

By the way, good use made of the "BSR Secret Auto Repeat Mode"! I believe it was commonly employed to convince parents that their offspring were safely listening to music in their bedrooms, while in reality they were off out doing other things ..... Of course, I could not possibly comment