UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2021, 12:42 am   #1
MagicalGammon
Triode

Default Which cartridge for Collaro Studio?

Slowly getting there with troubleshooting this deck, been searching old posts on here for assistance with some of the issues but now trying to figure out which cartridge I'd need to replace the mess that's in the headshell currently.

It has no real identifying features and from browsing online, someone mentioned it might take a Sonotone cartridge? Unsure of which so would be glad of anyone who could confirm which to use.

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th Mar 2021, 9:21 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Which cartridge for Collaro Studio?

In my experience the Collaro/Magnavox "Studio" has a different tonearm from the previous very small head of the earlier Collaros. This means that fitting a standard 1/2" mount should present no problems. A photo would help to confirm. Also what type of amplifier will you be playing this into i.e. does it have both Ceramic and MM inputs?
Old 7th Mar 2021, 5:47 pm   #3
MagicalGammon
Triode

On inspection I now see that its Acos 73 stereo cartridge. It has a separate metal bracket to mount it in the headshell.

Unsure of amp/inputs, sorry. Still trying to figure most of this out. Have attached photos, if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210307_163248.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	228577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210307_163131.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	228578   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210307_163112.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	228579  
Old 7th Mar 2021, 6:12 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I can't see the tone arm very well but this looks look the larger head version, which is to your advantage. That Acos cartridge is a early Stereo Crystal type on a standard 1/2" mount. If you are intending to use the very same amplifier that you were already playing this through, then we can advise options. In the meantime what's actualy with this Acos cartridge?
Old 8th Mar 2021, 9:08 am   #5
MagicalGammon
Triode

I bought this recprd player second hand and attempting to fix it up, so I don't have much history on what was going on with it. The cartridge was covered in green rust and half the needle was missing, some wiring was pulled away.

The record player is a Murphy A426G.
Old 8th Mar 2021, 9:48 am   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

OK, so your Murphy has a 2 stage amplifier and you will need a matching cartridge. Search for BSR X5M (ideally) or BSR SC11M or SC12H. These will cost c.£35-00. The SC cartridges are stereo and will need "bridging" to give a mono signal. We can explain this later. At the cheaper end are the Chinese Denshi cartridges in various formats c.£14.00 which will also need bridging.