UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Mar 2021, 1:45 am   #1
Don Van Vliet
Diode

Default Collaro Conquest and Murphy a316ga player

Hello everyone.

New member here looking to lightly renovate a Murphy a316ga player and Collaro Conquest deck. It was in generally good working order when I acquired it around 15 years ago and has had light use and been stored since.

I would love some tips from some of you well versed in this machine for getting it in great shape including which caps are the ones to replace as a matter of course.

But my first and most pressing question is does anyone know what size bearing is required for the bottom of the motor?! Hahaha.

I have followed some videos and read the excellent forum guides here in stripping down, cleaning and lubricating the Collaro and I noticed the bottom bearing is missing. The fan is operating nicely but I'm sure it will fly if properly equipped with the bearing!

The other issues I have noticed in putting the deck back together are :

- The tone arm no longer hits the record in the stack but moves underneath it instead (I haven't made any alterations so I assume something must be misaligned)

- The tone arm now swings out on Start, moves to the outside of the record but then moves back to the rest without playing and clicks the deck off

- I noticed some stacks of 45s slip when playing one on top of eachother, bringing play to a halt but some seem to play ok.

- It looks like a speaker extension cable may have been fitted to the player but someone has chopped it off. I may reinstate this as I have connected this deck to a JPW Sonata speaker a few times and it sounds lovely.

I am enjoying looking through all the info here and hope you can set me straight on the bearing size and perhaps a few of the other issues if possible.

thanks
Beefheart
Old 7th Mar 2021, 10:43 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Collaro Conquest and Murphy a316ga player

These Conquests are indeed complex. Do you have a manual? One can be downloaded from the "Service Data" link above. Please advise. As to the 45s slipping, that's not a fault of your autochanger, but the varying surfaces of the records themselves. Some are pressed with ridges to be more "grippy" than others. As to using an extension speaker, be aware that your output transfomer secondary is rated at 3 ohms. Most modern speakers are 8 ohms, so there will be some loss of volume if you use these e.g. your JPW.
Old 7th Mar 2021, 2:40 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

There should be a washer between the main cam and the circlip holding it in place. If it is missing, it will give you they symptoms you describe.

Edward has answered your query regarding slipping 45's. Just reinstate the wiring to the extension speaker sockets and it will be ok.

One thing: Remove the amplifier and replace C1, C2, C3, C4 and C6. C2 is absolutely vital.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 7th Mar 2021, 5:08 pm   #4
Don Van Vliet
Diode

Thank you both so much for your helpful suggestions.

Yes I can see how certain 45s are prone to slippage so that's a relief.

I had already downloaded the manual you kindly provided Michael, thank you. Very useful being able to see everything exploded.

Which part are you referring to re. the main cam and the washer? Is this regarding Fig 1 (sub plate?) in the manual.

I was wondering if I hadn't set it to it's "reset" position when reattaching it to the main deck

As for the external speaker, perhaps I'll hook up a switch instead so that the internal speaker isn't playing at the same time as an external one.

Did you have any suggestions re. bearing size? I couldn't see from the manual but I am guessing it's either 3mm or 4mm?

I was going to recover this when finished in blue and cream Rexine but I'm thinking of perhaps either leaving as is or recovering in Red and cream to match the original finish. I do like baby blue, that's the thing!
Old 7th Mar 2021, 10:20 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

It’s on the sub chassis, look at post 6 of my pictorial guide.

Old 10th Mar 2021, 2:49 pm   #6
Don Van Vliet
Diode

Just an update. I followed the instructions and here is where I'm up to :

- Autochanger works. Correct height of tonearm hitting the 45s stacked (I have yet to try 78 or 33). However, the arm seems to cue to the very edge of the lead in groove and needs to be moved by hand. It used to line up right on the lead in vinyl followed by a second or two of crackle and then the music.

- Speed wow. Turntable seems to be running at correct speeds from visual check but I am getting a slight wow (slowing down in pitch). I noticed the spring underneath the tonearm has been adjusted (tightened). I tried to tighten it a little more and it seemed to improve the wow possibly or it might have been me convincing myself of that. It still has a wow to it.

- Since taking the deck apart it seems the L stylus isn't working properly. Either no sound at all or extremely feint and muffled. This stylus was working fine before I stripped the machine and set it aside. It hasn't been dropped etc. Flipping to the N setting for a 45 plays fine but I understand this is for 45s? Perhaps it's a coincidence the L stylus has failed - or am I missing a certain setting?

- The cartridge fitted is a Collaro Studio 58 which takes two separate styli. Would any of those listed as Collaro Studio fit this? I have seen several types listed (O, 53 etc but not 58?) on the internet.

- In terms of recovering the case when finally finished would you suggest new Rexine or respraying the existing Rexine? (My father has access to a body shop and that's what he does.)

I am going to have another read of all the instructions and the user manual in the meantime.

Thanks for everyone's assistance and interest.
Old 10th Mar 2021, 3:40 pm   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

To try to answer these many questions:

1: The pick up tracking weight will have no affect on what you are calling "Wow" and I would not attempt to adjust the tension spring at all at this stage.

2: On the Collaro "Conquest", the pick up set down position is a screw adjustment at 2 o'clock under the platter - I am assuming it will be the same on the later "Studio" version. Only a very slight adjustment is needed.

3: As to the styli, you may have a problem here. A Collaro 58 is a Mono (2 pins) type. The "L "stylus is for MONO LPs and 45s only, the N stylus position is for 78s only. I suspect that most of the LPs in your collection will be Stereo and so it may be better to replace the whole cartridge for a Stereo (if so, it will need to be "bridged") or a Stereo Compatible cartridge type if you do not wish to cause lasting damage. If so, the arm will need to be re-balanced - see 1 above.

4: As to the recovering, I would not advise this at all unless you are extremely skilled. Most record players of the this age, and in my experience, can be readily restored by very careful and thorough cleaning and re-touching.

5: As to the "Wow" you will need to test the 3 speeds with a Strobe or a Smartphone Application. If there is "Wow" then the Idler drive wheel/s under the platter may needed skimming or re-placing.

As you can see there is still a fair way to go to get this running as it should. Do keep in touch with us as to how you get on or need more help......
Old 10th Mar 2021, 4:37 pm   #8
Don Van Vliet
Diode

Thanks very much Edward.

Just to respond to what you've suggested

2 - This is a 1958 Conquest but appears to be fitted with a Studio 58 cartridge? I have seen the screw you mention, yes.

3 - This deck will only ever be used for mono 45s (and occasionally old mono LPs). I have a Rega deck for stereo vinyl and a hi fi set up.

4 - I agree. It looks as if someone had a go at retouching this in the past and didn't do a great job. I've covered several old Vox amps with new Tolex so I'm confident I could get this back in shape but I will investigate further.

5 - That makes sense. The only thing I would note is that this wasn't a problem I recall before I stripped and rebuilt the deck. Perhaps it's possible I have misaligned one of the idlers? One odd thing I noticed about the smaller wheel connected to the speed control side of the deck was that the little screw which goes through the top doesn't secure the wheel (Assembly 3199). The screw tightens but you can lift the wheel straight back off. Should there be a small washer or something here to ensure the screw clamps down on the wheel?

In terms of the styli there are very few options available if I want to retain the original cartridge so I presume I will have to try a new old stock styli for LPs and hope it's a match. The ones I have spotted appear to look identical from the photos but I appreciate that doesn't neccessarily mean they will be.

Kind regards
Old 10th Mar 2021, 9:18 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would need to check my exploded deck view as to the washers. There may be 2 very fine ones? As to Styli, you can still buy NOS LP/45 and 78 styli and (rather perversely) a Stereo LP/45 one. But remember that whilst the stereo stylus will have the correct tip diameter, it will have a very poor vertical compliance. NOS BSR TC8 Mono LP and 78 styli are what you need and the Stereo one is BSR TC8S. As a bonus, these are far easier to fit than the original Collaro types.
Old 12th Mar 2021, 10:04 pm   #10
Don Van Vliet
Diode

So I got the LP stylus - seems fine.

Record cueing mechanism is working ok but sometimes too many records drop. What's strange is I haven't made any adjustments to the spindle. The spindle appears free of grease / oil.

I am still getting some wow on the playback. I checked the platter and the wheels underneath and checked for dirt. The thing is, I never had this problem before.

Something tells me maybe it's connected to the tonearm and the weight instead? (Spring etc). I had one 45 (on its own, not stacked) grind to a halt when the stylus was placed on the record. It kept slipping but the platter kept turning. Another 45 didn't exhibit that issue but did have wow. (I have ensured the slip mat is properly fixed into the platter by the way)

When I played a 78 I had no noticeable problems, but then it's unlikely to have as much wow due to the higher speed anyway.
Old 13th Mar 2021, 11:10 am   #11
Michael Maurice

You need to check the idler wheel, the smaller one, the rubber goes hard and can cause all sorts of problems, you can get it refurbished here

Closed Thread