UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old Yesterday, 8:56 pm   #821
ajgriff
Octode

Default Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

First step is to identify which models they are and in particular which PCB assemblies are fitted. The attached service manual should help. I've got some other documentation which may be useful if you end up fault finding again. With any luck at least one of them might just work as it is. Worth scanning through the last few pages of the other PET thread.

Alan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf C2N 1530 1531 Service Manual.pdf (1.66 MB, 0 views)
ajgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:22 pm   #822
ajgriff
Octode

You can actually do some testing of a C2N without a working PET (or VIC20/C64) providing you can provide it with 5V power. This would enable the drive train to be tested. Basic read functionality can also be verified using a scope and a suitable tape recording. I can provide more detail if needed.

Alan
Old Yesterday, 10:19 pm   #823
ajgriff
Octode

I forgot to mention that the most common problem with an old C2N is a perished drive belt but they can be found on the internet for a couple of pounds or so and are easy to fit.

In the absence of a signal generator I guess you could test rudimentary write functionality using the headphone output of a smart phone playing tones from a media player. Not something I've tried though.

Alan
Old Yesterday, 10:27 pm   #824
Timbucus
Heptode

I hesitate to pick up on the mention of CESIL...

https://twitter.com/DarkBlueMonkey/s...21060496429057

this thread is thrashing around like a fire hose with nobody holding it - idle hands and all that! Let's hope Cricklewood do not take too long...

...anyone remember Magenta? my diary for last week from 1981 said I had just had a delivery of 10 of parts from them to build a fuzz box for a mate which I was punting out for 15...
Timbucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:46 pm   #825
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Yes, please, let's try to keep this one on the subject of the repairs to Colin's PET, it has already had to be tidied up once. I am sure there is enough interest in Commodore tape machines just now to support a new thread on that subject.
SiriusHardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 pm   #826
Timbucus
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Yes, please, let's try to keep this one on the subject of the repairs to Colin's PET, it has already had to be tidied up once. I am sure there is enough interest in Commodore tape machines just now to support a new thread on that subject.
He mentioned CESIL first though...
Timbucus is offline   Reply With Quote