UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jan 2021, 2:19 pm   #1
Richardgr
Heptode

Default Mechanical vs Electrical

I am a keen reader of the forums for 'Vintage Tape (Audio) ...' and 'Vintage Audio ...', and from my point of view there appear to be a lot of common issues to do with mechanical problems (usually old grease) and electrical problems (usually old caps).

My interest is developing my skills in understanding and fault finding circuitry, and I really appreciate the 'blow by blow' style of describing investigations that many of the pundits here employ.

I am not so interested in squeaking platters and so on, and also the electrical discussions end up being split in two forums, depending on where the electronics were installed, so there s a lot of trawling through threads.

Just wondering if there is a case for two forums being split as follows: 'Vintage Audio (Mechanical and Electro-mechanical issues)' and 'Vintage Audio (Electronic Issues)'? The use of sticky threads would then be easier to optimise for the standard, common, issues.
Old 3rd Jan 2021, 5:01 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Mechanical vs Electrical

This won't be happening for the forseeable future because of the work involved in doing it.
Old 3rd Jan 2021, 5:46 pm   #3

I prefer a whole story, electrics, mechanics, cosmetics. Some of the success stories are a wonderful read.

Old 3rd Jan 2021, 6:34 pm   #4
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Hello, I can see your viewpoint although it works fine for me. I’m thinking more of the moderators , who would probably have a lot more work putting threads into the ‘correct’ category! You can always use the native search engine to refine what you’re looking for ?
Old 3rd Jan 2021, 6:56 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler

There would also be the issue of historic threads, many of which range across electrics, mechanicals and cosmetics.

David
Old 3rd Jan 2021, 7:16 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I agree with the Mods' opinions here: if there was a separate 'mechanical' space it would probably attract the "Steam Gramophone" types...

Though I must admit, if it did inspire someone to build an Alexanderson-style alternator to generate RF on 472KHz it could be interesting!
Old 3rd Jan 2021, 9:18 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

We had a similar discussion a while ago about splitting another large section. It’s a lot of work to organise all the existing threads to new sections. We said it would only be considered if a couple of members volunteered to do all the sorting. Nobody volunteered.

So on that basis any similar requests will be declined.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Jan 2021, 12:54 am   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardgr View Post
I am a keen reader of the forums for 'Vintage Tape (Audio) ...' and 'Vintage Audio ...', and from my point of view there appear to be a lot of common issues to do with mechanical problems (usually old grease) and electrical problems (usually old caps).

My interest is developing my skills in understanding and fault finding circuitry, and I really appreciate the 'blow by blow' style of describing investigations that many of the pundits here employ.

I am not so interested in squeaking platters and so on, and also the electrical discussions end up being split in two forums, depending on where the electronics were installed, so there s a lot of trawling through threads.

Just wondering if there is a case for two forums being split as follows: 'Vintage Audio (Mechanical and Electro-mechanical issues)' and 'Vintage Audio (Electronic Issues)'? The use of sticky threads would then be easier to optimise for the standard, common, issues.
So where would you put unsticking a tuning condensor or overhauling a Quad 33 switchbank? No, such a division is pointless. It is easy enough sample a thread and follow it if it interests you.
Old 4th Jan 2021, 11:25 pm   #9
Richardgr
Heptode

Thanks for considering the request. One option would be a mechanism to tag threads (defined keywords), and be able to apply filtering in thread view, but probably not achievable with the BBS software, and there is the massive task of retroactively categorising.

Ted, in the case of your examples, such a thread would be electronic and mechanical, and should be visible in both cases.

As the sum of our knowledge is continually increasing, I was eager to suggest an idea to expose the solutions from the past. Fortunately the helpful regular posters are often able to recall similar threads, and recommend them.

Cheers, Richard
Old 5th Jan 2021, 12:15 am   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

We are limited by the functionality of the forum software used. Longer term I will be looking to move to something more modern and mobile friendly but still as easy to use, and I will add tagging to the list of nice to have features.

It is always worth trying the Google custom search at the top if searching for something specific. It works better than the built-in search (not surprisingly as Google are search engine experts).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th Jan 2021, 12:22 am   #11
Cobaltblue

As this has been discussed and no action is going to be taken at this time but considered later this thread will be closed.

A request for it to be re-opened may be considered at an appropriate time.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread