UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2010, 11:36 am   #1
Crosscross
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR Turntable Speed

I'm sure this maybe covered elsewhere but I have a BSR deck that works, but the turntable runs ever so slightly slow and occasionally speeds back up before slowing back down.
I bought it from a car boot sale and the turntable was frozen. I pulled out the spindle and removed the turntable, oiled it up and it now goes around albeit at a mildly erratic speed.
I'm sure it's something simple but I'm new to fiddling with these old decks and hoped that somebody could give me a steer.

Other than that problem I mentioned it works fine.
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 11:48 am   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR Turntable Speed

Make sure the idler spins freely on its pivot; lubricate if necessary. If it has gone shiny, you may need to roughen it up with emery cloth.

You may also have to lubricate the motor bearings.

If the turntable slows down while going through the change cycle and speeds back up when the record starts, then this means re-greasing is called for; use the search function to find old posts, it's been mentioned enough times.
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 3:03 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Definitely check the idler tyre, unclip it carefully, lubricate the shaft, refit and check.
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 9:07 am   #4
Andrew2
Nonode

A quick oil of the central TT bearing is often not enough. De-grease it thoroughly before re-lubing and see if that helps.
Old 13th Aug 2010, 10:28 am   #5
tracypaper
Octode

Do as mentioned above. I had same probs with three HF45 BSR decks, took off idler, sanded trye edge, re-lubed sindle, relubed motor bearings, all sorted
Cheers,
Gaz,
Leeds.
Closed Thread