UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2010, 1:46 pm   #1
kelvinmunson
Pentode

Unhappy Leak Stereo 30

Picked up a Leak stereo 30 and I have a problem, I think it may be with the input selector switch which doesn't seem to select the channels correctly, but second opinions would be appreciated. Problem occurrs with all phono input devices and is experienced when switching between mono/stereo functions on the front panel.

With the front panel Function switch in the stereo position I can input to either left or right phono socket and either way I get output from the right channel only.

When I switch to Mono Left input I can input either left or right phono and I get output from both channels.

When I switch to Mono Right input I can input either left or right phono and I get no output from either channel.

With the switch in the mono position it seems to work correctly, Left and Right phono inputs each give output in both channels.

Have I missed something obvious here ?
Old 7th Aug 2010, 3:55 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Leak Stereo 30

Hi,
Has the control knob slipped position on its shaft so that the pointer doesn't line up correctly with the legend on the front panel?

Alternatively it may be that one (or more) of the wires that connects to the Mono/Stereo switch has come adrift.

Regards
Andrew
Old 10th Aug 2010, 12:36 pm   #3
kelvinmunson
Pentode

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply. I have had a look at the selector knob position and it appears to be correct; the switching positions are spread across about 120deg so if it did rotate I think it would be easy to spot.

I have also had a look at the wiring and everything appears intact; I am wondering whether someone might have had it apart and incorrectly relocated some of the wiring..... I guess I should be able to work it out logically from the incorrect switching that results ?

Best Regards
Kelvin
Old 10th Aug 2010, 10:33 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Hi,
If the wiring had been messed around with there should be traces of new solder, another thought that crossed my mind was had the whole switch assembly been rotated relative to the knob, although this is unlikely as I suspect that there is a locating spigot on the switch assembly which fits into a hole on the control panel fasica.

If you want to check the wiring of the switch, the circuit diagram may be available as a download from the link up top

Also check for the tags on the switch touching and causing unwanted shorts.

Regards
Old 10th Aug 2010, 11:27 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Can't see it "upstairs" so try this:

http://www.magafox.com/tubeamps/Leak...20COMBINED.pdf

.........O..Chris....O
Old 14th Aug 2010, 10:38 am   #6
kelvinmunson
Pentode