UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2022, 3:09 am   #1
popmirrorman
Triode

Default BSR Auto changer tonearm height

Kia Orana from the Cook Islands. I have searched this forum for answers but cannot find what i'm looking for. I need to adjust the height of the tone arm on my BSR auto changer. The set down position is correct, but because the tonearm is too low it hits the side of the arm rest instead of resting back on it when it returns at the end of play.

I can see the shaft that lifts the tonearm but do know know how to adjust it. Any advice.

Thanks folks.

Ian.
Old 25th Jan 2022, 9:27 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR Auto changer tonearm height

There are many versions of BSR autochanger.s Which type do you have? A photo will help.
Old 25th Jan 2022, 10:17 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hello Ian and welcome.

Do you know what model your changer is? Or failing that, post us a picture.

There's a useful ID thread here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=42473

Nick.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 3:52 am   #4
popmirrorman
Triode

Thank you all for your input. I will take a photo of it tomorrow (it's at work) as i cannot find my particular model in the link posted above. I know it is an Alba from the 60s.

I have temporarily remedied the problem by putting a small nut on top of the shaft so it hits the tonearm a few millimeters higher. Works like a charm but i would like to do it properly.

My wife and i run a cafe here and this little record player suplies the music, 6 hours a day 6 days a week. It's a right little trooper.

Cheers
Ian.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 8:47 am   #5
peter_sol
Octode

If you lift up the arm you will see where the lifting shaft pushes up on a screw. To lift higher you need to unscrew the screw just enough so it clears the arm rest by about 1/4 inch.
Old 7th Feb 2022, 8:57 am   #6
popmirrorman
Triode

Sorry about the delay. I have now uploaded a picture. If anyone knows the model of the turntable and how to adjust the tonearm height that would be great. I can not see a screw on the tonearm as suggested above.

Thanks
Ian.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220126_095514_mfnr.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	251300  
Old 7th Feb 2022, 10:37 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

That looks like a BSR C123 or C141 autochanger. There is a downloadble service sheet above, top RHS.
Old 7th Feb 2022, 11:35 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Or possibly the C109 data might do: https://www.service-data.com/product...99/9390/s16899

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 7th Feb 2022 at 11:53 am.
Old 7th Feb 2022, 11:47 am   #9
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmirrorman View Post
Sorry about the delay. I have now uploaded a picture. If anyone knows the model of the turntable and how to adjust the tonearm height that would be great. I can not see a screw on the tonearm as suggested above.

Thanks
Ian.
That's a very unusual colour combination for a late 60s early 70s BSR deck. I think Edward is right about the model number, certainly if you look up adjustment for a C129 it will be identical to what you need

I think where you said you put the temporary nut is where Peter is suggesting the adjustment should be made. that shaft is usually topped with a white plastic collar, that has a small brass hex screw coming out of it, you just screw that out (up) a little to adjust the tonearm height

if that's not clear please post a photo of where you placed that nut as maybe your deck has some bits missing

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience

Last edited by hayerjoe; 7th Feb 2022 at 11:54 am.
Old 7th Feb 2022, 9:04 pm   #10
kirstyd
Heptode

if you lift the arm up you will see a brass nut with a white plastic nut underneath it .All you need to do is turn the brass nut up or down while holding the plastic nut still .Leave the arm in the up position and then put the player on reject .you will see the pole with the brass nut on the end go up and down as the machine cycles through and switches off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220207_195951493.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	251341  
Old 10th Feb 2022, 3:20 am   #11
popmirrorman
Triode

You are all very helpful, thank you. The above picture is exactly what i have. Will take the needlenose pliers in tomorrow and have a go at adjusting - seems simple enough. Thanks again for your help. Coffee on me next time you're in the Cooks.

Ian.
Old 10th Feb 2022, 11:46 am   #12
ben
Dekatron

Deck is a c109, but not sure of suffix. In any case, adjusting that nut should solve your problem. Just take it a little at a time as you don't want it too high - the arm should clear the underside of a stacked record by about half an inch when raised.
Old 19th Feb 2022, 9:39 am   #13
popmirrorman
Triode

I finally got around to doing this a few days ago - worked a treat, all good now. Thanks everyone.
Closed Thread