UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2021, 3:27 pm   #1
Sundog-
Triode

Default Mullard valve genuine?

I purchased a "Mullard PL36", but I don't think it is a genuine Mullard. Before I complain to the seller, I'd just like to check my reasoning:
Although the box is Mullard, the valve has no Mullard logo (just a worn"PL36"mark", nor any visible etch codes on the glass.
Am I correct in assuming it is not a Mullard?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7836.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	246667  

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 27th Nov 2021 at 12:35 pm. Reason: to comply with rules
Old 27th Nov 2021, 1:06 pm   #2
Amtec123
Pentode

Default Re: Mullard valve genuine?

Hi,
Difficult to be absolutely sure, but the font doesn't look correct. Does the box say 'Made in Great Britain' or 'Foreign'. If MiGB then there should be a lot more writing on the valve ie 'BVA Made in Great Britain', (google Mullard PL36 valve museum). If the box says 'Foreign' then it could be genuine, either way it might not be the original box for that valve.

Have you tried the valve? It looks quite clean with no blackening.
Good luck.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 2:43 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

It doesn't look like Mullard's printing.

But what's 'genuine' anyway? I have a DF1 pentode, Mullard red print, 'pentone' trademark, in a Mullard box, but... the base is screen-printed 'Made in USA.' Since when did Mullard have a factory in America?

The answer of course, is that it's a (probably) Sylvania-produced 1N5, bought-in by Mullard during the early years of the War when their own production was maxed-out; tested by Mullard; labelled by Mullard; and despatched by Mullard in a Mullard box. So if Mullard give it their blessing, is it genuine or not?
Old 27th Nov 2021, 2:46 pm   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Difficult to be absolutely sure, but the font doesn't look correct.
Certainly does not look like a Mullard, the font is not correct.
The fact the writing on the valve is worn away, could indicate a used valve, it was quite common for engineers to put a used valve back in the box after replacing it.
If you have access to a valve tester, I would check it's emission.

Mark
Old 27th Nov 2021, 3:04 pm   #5
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Here are two Mullard PL36 valves. Yellow is circa 1963-4 with old Mullard shield logo. White is early 1970s with new Mullard shield logo.

I’m sceptical that your valve is one originally branded and sold by Mullard, even if they didn’t actually make it themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12904781-E38A-4118-98AE-1B380C296F2B.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	246752   Click image for larger version

Name:	027BB592-120F-42AB-9FDD-B1FDD923B814.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	246753   Click image for larger version

Name:	06307B0B-3FA2-4869-800F-F79C540F47B0.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	246754  

Last edited by dazzlevision; 27th Nov 2021 at 3:06 pm. Reason: I’m sceptical that your valve is one originally sold by Mullard.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 3:53 pm   #6

I ask why are you bothered? If it works that will do in my book.

Old 27th Nov 2021, 4:23 pm   #7
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

To be fair, the seller probably knows little or nothing about the valve. They may have inherited a collection and believe it to be Mullard because of the box. I wouldn’t think the intention was to deceive. Mullard aren’t the be all and end all in valves and as merlinmaxwell says, as long as it works.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 4:33 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

The 'etch' codes are painted and can also suffer from age and cleaning, but the remaining PL36 doesn't look genuine at a glance. Valves were often multi sourced and rebranded, even by the major manufacturers, the logo and type just added at the point of sale. Whether or not it works is the important fact, but if it was specifically bought on brand it does seem dodgy.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 5:24 pm   #9
Cobaltblue

I think there is a consensus about this valve it is of course up to the OP what he does next.

This is a good time to wind this one up

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread