UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2022, 3:47 pm   #1
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Compressed Air

I recently bought a can of 'Air Duster' from Essential Electronics but the pressure from this product is too weak for any meaningful impact.

I need something to blow fine debris/dust from the voice coil gap in a loudspeaker.

Recommendations please - need something with bit of oomph!
Old 8th Jan 2022, 4:00 pm   #2
wireman
Heptode

Default Re: Compressed Air

I have been using a Kennair Air Duster Kit (can + valve) for a long time to get dust off camera sensors. I have no way of knowing if this is better or worse than what you have.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 4:06 pm   #3

Put the can in hot water for a while, much more poooof...

Old 8th Jan 2022, 9:07 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

Short of using an air compressor and blow gun which many of us have, I have a friend who showed me one of these:

https://www.itdusters.com/product/me...SABEgLL7_D_BwE

They are very powerful and relatively low noise units, many UK companies sell these.
Neil
Old 8th Jan 2022, 9:26 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I would use a vintage cylinder vac that blows as well as sucks. I keep our 40 year old Electrolux for blowing things dry and spraying paint. You need to bang the hose a few times first to dislodge dust from it.
Old 8th Jan 2022, 9:40 pm   #6
yesnaby
Octode

There is a portable electric one on Argos at £49.99.
Old 9th Jan 2022, 2:30 pm   #7
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Put the can in hot water for a while, much more poooof...
Yes, but only up to about blood heat. A very excessive temperature might result in the can bursting. blood heat is only about the temperature to which the can would be subjected during storage or transit during a heatwave.
Old 13th Jan 2022, 12:43 am   #8
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

If it's just for a one off, one shot job, maybe consider using an inflated (spare) car tyre as your compressed air source.

It would need a certain amount of inventiveness to get the air to where you need it, but you could start with a tube borrowed from an old footpump and extend it, and have something like a flattened bit of metal tube inserted in the output end to give you an aimable 'jet' of air.
Closed Thread