UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2021, 10:56 am   #1
chas
Triode

Default PYE 445U domestic shortwave

A friend has asked me if I can sort out her late father's Pye 445U. He was some sort of seagoing fellow and the multiple shortwave bandspread options are clearly designed for travellers to those far flung pink bits of the map in the 1950s. It is AC/DC with multiple voltage input options, two mains droppers one of which is open circuit and the usual UL41 etc series lineup. Unfortunately the output transformer primary is also open circuit. While I can probably unearth a spare standard OP transformer this set has a secondary winding which appears to provide negative feedback to some sort of network between the IF and the triode/DD, switched by the two gang rotary switches on the same spindle as the mains switch giving options marked F, B, M S on the front panel. I am guessing this might be some sort of audio 'tone' thing but I have no idea how to deal with that. Any suggestions? I would attach part of the circuit which I purchased from Paul Stenning but am unsure as to copyright implications.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 11:02 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: PYE 445U domestic shortwave

You can attach a circuit fragment, but not the whole circuit.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 11:15 am   #3
chas
Triode

Pye 445U. Thanks. An excerpt of the circuit showing the feedback network is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pye445_2T.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	243661  
Old 18th Oct 2021, 12:20 pm   #4
Nuvistor
Dekatron

A couple of members can rewind the output transformer. A request in the wanted section may help.
S2 is shown as a tone control with a ganged on/off switch for the power in the a Pye service sheet.

Last edited by Nuvistor; 18th Oct 2021 at 12:27 pm. Reason: Extra info about on/off switch
Old 18th Oct 2021, 1:20 pm   #5
Mr 1936
Heptode

Hi

My best guess at the meanings is:

F = Fidelity (Flat Response)
B = Bright (Treble Boost)
M = Mellow (Treble Cut)
S = Shortwave (Bass and Treble Cut)
Old 18th Oct 2021, 1:59 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

These are good sets. Well worth getting the output transformer rewound. Slight oddity which caught me out....the high frequency end of MW (200 metres) starts at the low-frequency end of the Trawler band....if that makes sense? I thought that MW was slightly off tune since I like to listen to Capital Gold on 194 metres but for some reason, MW only tunes down to 200 metres. The Trawler band however starts at 200 metres and Capital Gold can be found just below that mark.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 2:59 pm   #7
radiomobile
Pentode

This is a clever tip from the late Chas Miller. If you have a standard output transformer and wish to avoid the cost of rewinding the original, you can fit the standard one in the normal way and use the original as well for the feedback circuit. Simply ignore the o/c primary, leave the feedback winding in circuit, and connect the speaker secondary winding to the secondary of the "new" transformer observing the correct phasing of course.
Old 25th Oct 2021, 4:40 pm   #8
chas
Triode

Thanks for all those contributions.
Closed Thread