UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2021, 8:41 pm   #161
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Show us your drills!

An RCD would be wise. A combined plug and RCD covers you (to a large extent) for anyone else picking it up.
Dave
Old 27th Jun 2021, 9:04 pm   #162
greenstar
Octode

I didn't want to reawaken the safety discussion on metal cased drills or metal cased anything - I think it has been well covered in the last few posts.
Old 27th Jun 2021, 9:07 pm   #163
barrymagrec
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
Thanks Barry, it's good to have an idea of the model. Mine seems to run very sweetly, which is a surprise as it looks so battered.
I am wonder if latex or nitrile gloves would be a worthwhile safeguard when using these beasts?
Check the insulation and earth continuity - don`t use it outside in the rain, commonsense - I use this type of equipment all the time, no gloves.
Old 28th Jun 2021, 1:13 pm   #164
greenstar
Octode

Here is the new baby after a light clean. The truth is, it won't see a lot of use. I have a big Bosch plastic cased drill I have handy that is used mostly. But I just hate seeing these things lying unwanted at car boots. I do use them on occasion, and at times they are better.
The rubber cable guard is in poor shape, but still adequate - it looks as though the cable is split in the first pic, but there is a bit of guard curling round behind.
I have thought about making cases for my old drills, they really need some protection. Some ammo boxes are good, but cost several times what I pay for the drills, so it goes against the grain! I am wondering what they originally came in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140039.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	236639   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140042.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	236640   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140040.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	236641   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140041.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	236642  

Last edited by greenstar; 28th Jun 2021 at 1:18 pm.
Old 28th Jun 2021, 2:05 pm   #165
Superscope
Octode

Here's a brute of a Drill.
A Wolf 3/4 inch Heavy Duty Drill.

Heavy and very well built, like all British tools from the 60's.

I've never used it, but it is in the "to it" pile for repair
and restoration for sometime in the future.

Belonged to my Late Father.

CD shown to give a sense of Scale.
A Hand Drill, but you need both of them and the rest of your Body!

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1080607.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	236657   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080608.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	236658  
Old 25th Aug 2021, 3:36 pm   #166
The Philpott
Dekatron

A recent skip find was this Russian ratchet brace. (The one with the black handles) Once oiled up the only deficiency compared to my old red handled brace is that the brace won't lock the rotary motion with the selector at the centre position.

The only auger bits i have are square taper (Jennings) type, and i did notice the difference in the chucks- did the USSR use a different shank or is this just a method of stopping the shank from working it's way out? It's a bit more fiddly to locate a bit into, but does seem secure.
Does anyone recognise the logo on the handle?

Thanks
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02430.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	240057   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02431.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	240058   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02432.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	240059   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02433.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	240060  
Old 25th Aug 2021, 7:39 pm   #167
John_BS
Octode

An earlier post mentions DeSoutter drills (better known perhaps for their pneumatic tools).

I was recently given a relatively rare DeSoutter 1A drill: I can't find anyone advertising that model on the internet, but Grace's Guide shows the model 1A (High speed) advertised for the first time in 1937. It must have been in production through to about 1950, when they changed the on-off switch to the more conventional trigger arrangement. It's beautifully made internally. They quote the capacity as 3/16", but this drill is fitted with a 1/4" Jacobs 1A chuck on a Jacobs No 1 taper. I've become adept at Jacobs chuck refurbishment.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Im1937Aero-Desoutter.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	240067   Click image for larger version

Name:	chuck.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	240068   Click image for larger version

Name:	highspeed1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	240069  
Old 30th Aug 2021, 5:40 pm   #168
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

I do have a thing for old drills. This one i do use often. Not sure much about it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2599.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	240352   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2600.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	240353  
Old 30th Aug 2021, 8:03 pm   #169
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Stuart, that looks like a design from Model Engineer in the 50's; often sold as kits

Ed
Old 30th Aug 2021, 8:19 pm   #170
Radio Wrangler

I have a feeling Camdean Miniature Steam Services sold the raw castings. (Rode Farm, Bath)

David
Old 30th Aug 2021, 8:26 pm   #171
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Interesting thank you. Only thing is a bit.of.side to side movement of.the chuck..would be good to sort that.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 7:14 pm   #172
duncanlowe
Nonode

On the subject of the ratchet brace. My Dad had one (I have it now) and when I was young I always struggled to get the brace to hold the bits. I had no idea that the taper was supposed to go right inside and engage, with the chuck gripping the shank. Am I right that's what's supposed to happen? The chuck certainly never liked gripping the taper.

I'll try to add some photos later.
Old 31st Aug 2021, 8:41 pm   #173
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart_morgan_64 View Post
I do have a thing for old drills. This one i do use often. Not sure much about it.
That might be a Champion no.1 drill. I have one - it's quite useful for small, fast stuff like holes in circuit boards!

http://www.lathes.co.uk/champion-drill/
Old 31st Aug 2021, 9:58 pm   #174
The Philpott
Dekatron

Post 172- Hi Duncan, the (British?) one i pictured has a simple taper so it's quicker to change bits, but the Russian one does indeed have a recessed taper, and a small groove which grips the shank (i think that this arrangement could become problematic if areas within the chuck were badly worn)
At the second attempt i got it to grip on a bit, but haven't used it in anger yet.

On subject of drill bits, just cut my finger whilst cleaning the spiral flutes on a conventional HSS 7.5mm bit from Kingfisher/B&Q/Screwfix group. A really sharp section of the flute cut straight through 3 layers of kitchen roll and into me. It's actually not a very clever way to clean a drill bit, but i have never been bitten in this way before! One to watch.
Dave
Old 1st Sep 2021, 12:05 pm   #175
peter_scott
Dekatron

This is a rather nice manual bench drill that I inherited from my father. When turning the handle the drill moves down to meet the workpiece and then progress is advanced automatically. You can adjust the rate of progress by the knurled screw below the flywheel. The overall height above the workpiece can be changed by changing the position of the clamp on the pillar at the rear.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030650 (Medium).jpg
Views:	97
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	240450  
Old 1st Sep 2021, 2:45 pm   #176
G4_Pete
Hexode

Re: Previous post by Peter. # 175

I have an identical drill to your hand pillar drill and find the feed mechanism with the flywheel friction to be very ingenious and easy to control especially as when you reduce hand cranking pressure the bit pressure is reduced and then lifts.

The thing I find even more remarkable when I struggle to move it in the workshop is that in my younger days I cycled home from a local Autojumble with the thing part dismantled and strapped to my lightweight racing bike. An incredulous Swedish accented man steadied the bike as I got on and cycled off.

Last edited by G4_Pete; 1st Sep 2021 at 3:11 pm. Reason: Corrected text
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 5:44 am   #177
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
A recent skip find was this Russian ratchet brace. (The one with the black handles) Once oiled up the only deficiency compared to my old red handled brace is that the brace won't lock the rotary motion with the selector at the centre position.

Thanks
Dave
I found one of those ratchet braces in a tool shed that was being cleared.
It is dated 1974 and has the government arrow on it.
Modern cordless tool bits fit in them once the battery goes flat or the tool is too gutless.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF7147.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	240573   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7149.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	240574  
Old 27th Sep 2021, 3:05 pm   #178
greenstar
Octode

Duncan, I have only just seen this, but have also puzzled at the apparent looseness of the tapered bits. A carpenter friend suggested because the jaws were worn on a couple of my braces. Holding does seem imperfect. Those square section drills were used since the time of Adam in the older type braces, which had no chuck, but a square shaped socket and thumbscrew to grip the bit. Possibly the later chucked braces were better with round shanked bits. Others may know for sure.
Closed Thread