UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2018, 11:18 am   #21
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Is this a TV speaker?

You'll need to build a corner (two bits of heavy sheet?) then......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th Feb 2018, 1:46 pm   #22
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

These were designed to fit into the room's corner, the side walls forming the enclosure.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 4:43 pm   #23
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

If it was built in, that would have solved the sand retention problem [as opposed to just relying on the side walls] but making a free-standing unit out of it shouldn't be that difficult If it needs to be loaded ie it's not a vented design the sand could be in bags or there are alternatives. You might get a great result like Whaam [in Success Stories] and his "fab" Cotswold Speakers.

Thanks for the Barron Knights link Julie-I'd forgotten that one.
Set against the incredible music in the sixties we thought them incredibly naff but watching them perform in a Night Club setting a few years later was an almost hysterically funny experience!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 13th Feb 2018 at 4:51 pm.
Old 1st Mar 2018, 9:13 pm   #24
Whaam68
Hexode

Yes as Trev mentions this looks like an original Wharfedale corner speaker .......specifically the 9cu ft sand filled corner panel 2 speaker system as detailed on p309 of “A pair of Wharfedales” ...in the book it’s in the cabinet construction sheet Sept 1957....fab speaker indeed :0)
Old 1st Mar 2018, 11:23 pm   #25
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Either they took the original design and built the front part into a corner or a free standing unit was dismembered and put into service. These designs were the bees knees at the time. There was one in Practical Wireless as well as I recall. Imagine having to visit the builders yard re your Hi Fi Or even mix concrete and apply it to the inside of 3/4" plywood panels on which nails were distributed at random. I was keen to do all that and remember wishing that I had a house where I could build two units in the corners of the front room. They were a very good design but really, the gold plated cables of their day. My best audio system was a deck on a board supported by three bricks and played through a Sobell Radio When I went to stereo it was an SP25 with recycled bits but that sounded great as well, mainly because I couldn't have afforded a commercial system and had some money to buy records!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 1st Mar 2018 at 11:30 pm.
Old 16th Mar 2018, 2:08 pm   #26
rontech
Heptode

I built something similar with a sandfilled baffle ( influenced by Gilbert Briggs of Wharfedale loudspeakers ) This was back in mono days 1957 I think!.

I could not afford Wharfedale multi units and used a Goodmans Axiom Mk 12" full range speaker.

The speaker in your pic has a massive magnet and the tag "low resonance" leads me to believe it is a bass driver. Wharfedale, Vortexion, Vitavox all made big magnet speakers.

The rotary switch is likely to be to select different crossover points between drivers in a multi unit system. This can aid in optimising the whole system to suit the room characteristics.
Closed Thread