UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2018, 9:19 pm   #1
beardedfool
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye 19A

Hi all,

My dad has unearthed his old childhood radio, a PYE 19A. I'm completely unsure of what, if anything, I'd like to do with it at the moment.

I've only got the same photos as you at the moment, rather than having my hands on it.

Part of me wants to get it working for him (This would be my first foray into vintage radios though and I appreciate a lot of work and learning). Part of me knows that it probably won't get used though. A labour of love rather than a money making exercise for sure.

But I've a couple of specific questions before I really consider getting into the inside workings of it:
1) Knobs
I've just been reading about cleaning the knobs and saw this
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8444
It would seem to suggest that someone has badly tried to clean that right hand knob. I just wanted to double check that light nail varnish remover is still good advice as that post it quite old.

2) The white surround.
That looks like it's bent. Does anyone have any hints for fixing that?

3) Wood work
This page has a PYE 19A with what it describes as 'it's original finish' and I'm a bit too ignorant of word working to understand
You can see from the bad photos that it has a few scratched and is quite unloved. I'd consider the 'finish' to have gone but wanted to check people would suggest about cleaning/ restoring the wood on it.

Sorry for length and really appreciate anyone that made it through that - thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_133330.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	156365   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_133614.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	156366   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_133825.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	156367  
Old 29th Jan 2018, 6:33 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Pye 19A.

1) Acetone, nail varnish remover is fierce stuff, melts lots of plastics, use at your own risk. Detergent and a toothbrush does all my knob and trims.

2) If gently warmed it can be re-shaped - with care.

3) Depends what you want. Original sprayed lacquer with patination, age and scratches. or touched up with wax sticks and scratch cover, or stripped and Danish oil for a modern low gloss finish, or stripped and varnished for a sickly thick shine that looks awful.

Welcome, thanks for asking sensible questions.
Pye 19A is a simple chassis unlikely to give you any problems. Read all the stickies at the top of the pages in the relevant forums. Don't go mad changing parts, get it working as it is first. Change ONE part at a time and TEST before changing another. Ask first, follow advice, ask again if you don't understand and enjoy the restoration.
Old 29th Jan 2018, 4:44 pm   #3
kevinb
Pentode

To restore the cabinet I would strip it down to the original finish with meths using wire wool, be sure to get all the old polish off then re stain and either re polish with button polish using a very smooth brush or Danish oil applied by cloth for an easier finish
Old 29th Jan 2018, 5:13 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I would do the same, i.e. preserve as much of the original finish and patina as possible. A light coat of wax at the end would make it look nicer still.

Refinishing from scratch (i.e. taking everything off) looks terrible unless done by someone who knows what they're doing IMHO. Even then, it can look a bit brash and odd. I certainly have had mixed results and I've done a few in my time.

Nick.
Closed Thread