UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Nov 2017, 11:52 am   #1
crestavega
Pentode

Default Motorola R100/ compact.

Is the Motorola "Compact" VHF repeater old enough to be appropriately considered vintage? I am trying to make one good one out of two suspect ones.

Pretty sure that the Tx on one is gubbed, I think the TX deck went into keydown and heat-exhausted its own PA. The other one should be OK but I am not at this stage sure if the RX deck is making COR signal onto the logic board.

Also I appear to have inadvertently reprogrammed a TX code plug EPROM as an RX codeplug and now I cannot change it back to a TX. Not too sure how I have managed to do this as it's supposed to be impossible to rewrite the RX or TX function of a codeplug.

Just a toe in the water to see if anyone out there has intimate knowledge of these creatures.
Old 6th Nov 2017, 7:59 pm   #2
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: Motorola R100/ compact.

Put that into the PMR Engineers thread...

It's usually said they will run screaming to the hills.
I would go running for the tunnels - to avoid the sprogs and intermod.

Weren't these a pair of MC Micros siamesed together in a case somehow.
I remember phono connectors or something like them.

Bad experience in Cork. Not going back!
Old 7th Nov 2017, 8:34 pm   #3
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Motorola R100/ compact.

I think I only saw one of these despite working on Motorola gear for a long time. MC Micro's could go into a state of silent (no mod) permanent Tx mode in vehicle installations if the negative supply lead to the battery became high impedance but I never saw this happen with say fixed mobile installations. The MC Micro is a very good radio otherwise. The RF PA is bombproof too. If the compact is indeed based on two Micros, the through chassis interboard connector can cause all sorts of weird problems. All you need to do to cure most of them is to unplug the two boards and exercise the connector. This brings most of them back to life. Don't know why, it just does. The MC Micro had an EEPROM programmed through the software and associated lead/RIB combination. Can't help you with anything more specific than that unfortunately. Most of our stuff was Compa base station repeaters, Spectratac voting and Centracom control rooms linked up with Starpoint/Starplex microwave.
Alan.
Closed Thread