UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2005, 3:49 pm   #1
Andrew Thomas
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye Record Maker Model 1

I have been given a Pye Record Maker Type 1. It is about the size of a 'Dansette' portable record player. It seems to be complete with internal speaker, bakelite micrphone, turntable, tone arm and stylus plus a little brush and a plastic handle with magnets inside. It also has two magnetic discs (thast look like records).

The person who gave it to me would love to see it working.

Does anyone know anything about this machine (it feels like a lovely bit of social history. I would oove to find out more, how it works, etc. And if anyone had an operating manual I would gladly pay for copying / posrage. etc.

Many thanks

Andrew thomas
Old 22nd Apr 2005, 11:09 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Pye Record Maker Model 1

Hi Andrew,

These machines turn up from time to time and are not especially valuable or collectable ....... unless they are complete, which they seldom are.

They are exactly what the name implies, a record maker. They could also be used as a conventional record player.

There should be two tone arm heads; one for recording and one for conventional playback. Often missing is the recording head, recording discs and the microphone. By what you've said, it seems yours is complete apart from one of the heads ...... but which one ?

I've not checked but you may be able to obtain service data ( not operating manual ) from Paul Stenning via the relevant section of this website. Also, if you type 'Pye record maker' into search engine I'm sure you will find out more info. Keep your eye on Ebay too, as they turn up on there fairly frequently. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.
Closed Thread