UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2018, 11:52 pm   #61
D_S_J_R
Heptode

Default Re: Cartridge recomendations

The ED stylus pictured a couple of posts above is the later chunky Encore version. The original and best had a small diameter cantilever at least as fine as the EJ stylus in the middle. A Jico stock replacement stylus will have a better diamond than the Shure original, but I have no idea on the 'sound.'

The issue with these cartridges as well as the current 97XE is that apparently the pole pieces in the body are solid and not laminated as in the V15 III and later top models. The solid pole pieces give a suck-out in the high frequencies, followed by a peak in the 'sizzle' frequencies. The ED's aren't too bad (the EJ is terminally dull dull dull to me) and Shure kind-of compensated with a need for higher capacitance in many models to bolster the highs a bit. Loads on Vinyl Engine about Shure's five or so basic bodies over the years from the M44/55 series and the mounts fitted to them which dictated the model range..

The thing with the Goldring is that it itself is now becoming dated. In a Rega R300 arm it sounds quite lively but clean enough, but here in a different arm, it sounded gritty and 'one-note' if you've ever heard this artefact - some tweeters are like this too but you don't notice this until you hear a speaker that can reproduce brushed cymbals with the musical sheen they have in real life... Vinyl tends to soften and sweeten high frequencies and it seems many modern MM cartridge types spice up the high frequencies in an attempt to counter this. I recall reading that Japanese pressings have a different vinyl formulation and *need* the peaked up hf as so many far eastern cartridges have.

Me? I don't mind some refined sparkle from vinyl (and I'm a die-hard Decca fan as long as it's got a 'Pod' and a decent diamond on), but suitable cartridges for these low mass SME's can be hard to come by now, especially as AT have lowered their compliance and increased tracking weight.

Goldring also have the 2200 series which I'm told are made by Nagaoka. These may well have a gentler tonal quality but I've never heard one to confirm.

Dave

Last edited by D_S_J_R; 14th Feb 2018 at 11:57 pm.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 2:06 pm   #62
music-centre
Heptode

Default Re: Cartridge recommendations.

Hi,
I always found the M75ED rather too dull sounding for me personally (30 odd years ago or whatever it was!)
I upgraded from a Garrard SP25 deck, which I think had a Goldring G800 in it, to a Thorens TD160 and put a Linn Basik arm on it with a M75ED and thought it sounded dull and flat compared to my old Garrard!
I thought that the cartridge that came free with the arm sounded better!
Personal tastes make a lot of difference I suppose.
Steve.
Old 15th Feb 2018, 3:55 pm   #63
mcourtman
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

I'm pleased to say that my replacement Shure M75ED/2 arrived today along with a new Jico stylus. Fitted with new headshell leads (thanks to Andy) and it's sounding lovely!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Best wishes,

Matt
Old 15th Feb 2018, 5:08 pm   #64
ToneArm
Pentode

For me the G1042 was fabulous on a Linn arm while the Shure M75ED sounded unimpressive. On a Ortofon AS212 arm I preferred the Shure.
Glyn
Closed Thread