UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2018, 7:58 pm   #41
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Re: Fidelity UA4

Kennierobo, as others have said you just enjoy it for what it is, and keep the memories going mate.

Paul.
Old 9th Feb 2018, 10:35 pm   #42
ben
Dekatron

At risk of repeating myself, I would suggest keeping this UA4 and perhaps getting a hi fi amp and speakers plus a decent deck for more 'serious' sound quality. You could connect the fidelity to the Aux input of the hi fi amp and you can enjoy it with greater sonic power at the flick of a switch.

I use my decent Technics deck(s) with elliptical stylus for playing decent /collectable jazz, psych and soul albums and my autochanger for 78s, singles and tatty LPs. It's a bit of a queston of space as well I suppose!
Old 10th Feb 2018, 12:21 am   #43
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennierobo View Post
I have searched internet and as yet not turned up a pair of 12 ohm speakers.
If you can locate another pair of cheap 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers (Don't have to be the same as the ones you already have) then you could connect two speakers in series to each output of the UA4 for a nominal total of 12 or 16 ohms.

Obviously to keep the sound equal on each side you'd need to use one speaker from set (A) and one speaker from set (B) in each channel. They would also need to be wired in phase, we can draw a quick sketch to illustrate that if needed.

If you have a local branch of Cash Converters or a larger branch of one of the charity shops which have electrical goods, I often see orphaned speaker sets in places like that. If you are lucky you might find a 12 ohm or 16 ohm set.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 7:57 pm   #44
kennierobo
Triode

I have another set of these akai 8 ohm speakers. They are from my fathers stack system he had sorry has, funny thing is he told me to take speakers but will not part with the amp tuner or record deck and he cant use it now as he has early onset alzheimer's there is no rhyme or reason to it and you just have to go along with it all. But back to the fidelity Honestly I have taken everything on board and whilst its good to have memories this unit is not much good at reproducing good clarity sound, So this is what I propose I do, keep the fidelity on show I just cant part with it and get a better amp and turntable that will hide away in my tv unit only I will know its not the fidelity playing unless they look hard....And if I can find one thats not made in china

Last edited by kennierobo; 10th Feb 2018 at 8:03 pm.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 9:19 pm   #45
kennierobo
Triode

I have just located some 16 ohm 3 watt speakers would these be more suited to the ua4
Old 10th Feb 2018, 9:36 pm   #46
Clydeuk
Hexode

16 ohms should be fine and will be easier on the amplifier, though the volume level will be slightly lower.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:12 pm   #47
kennierobo
Triode

Not that worried about volume levels more worried about blowing the little amp. I would rather have it as a working keeper than an ornament so thanx for that info I will purchase them tonight.
Old 10th Feb 2018, 10:51 pm   #48
kirstyd
Heptode

i seem to remember my aunty having another version of this machine .It was blue where this one is white .The cheeks of the speakers were also in padded blue rexine .Same deck /three controls and the same pilot lamp
Old 12th Feb 2018, 4:19 pm   #49
kennierobo
Triode

I have a quick question if I connect this fidelity up to my amp via 5 pin din to phono will it be then safe to remove the speakers from the rear of unit, previous post said not to switch it on unless speakers are connected so thought I would ask....
Old 12th Feb 2018, 5:08 pm   #50
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would leave the speakers connected at all times. If you are not going to use the speakers again and just play your Fidelity through an external stereo amplifier, then it's best to turn the Volume to 0, the Balance to Centre, and leave the controls in those positions, but this is an rather inelegant solution.
Old 12th Feb 2018, 5:43 pm   #51
kennierobo
Triode

OK, thanks for that, taken on board.
Closed Thread