UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2018, 7:12 pm   #1
ChrisHoly
Retired Dormant Member

Default Columbia C301 vintage radio...

Hi there, i have a Columbia C301 vintage radio and am keen to restore it and getting it working again.

A couple of questions if anyone can help me out:

1. Can i swap the 2 pin plug for a modern 3 pin mains plug (assume this is ok due to voltage range 200-240v

2. Do i need to connect an external aerial to receive the radio signal

Lastly how much is this worth in working order ?

Thanks all,

Chris
Old 29th Jan 2018, 9:42 am   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Columbia C301 vintage radio...

1. Yes

2. Maybe. It has an internal aerial which will do for local signals.

3.Not a fortune. It's a typical (if quite good looking) '50s "woodie".

DON'T just fit a new plug and turn it on- at least replace the coupling capacitor from V3 anode to V4 grid stopper resistor first.

If the above doesn't make sense, come back and ask!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Jan 2018, 10:43 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hello and welcome.

This is a typical, mid-1950s British radio, very similar to the more commonly-encountered Marconiphone T32A: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/marconi_t32at_32.html

As Chris says, plugging-in a radio that's well over 60 years old without checking a few things first is asking for trouble. It may give you an electric shock, go bang or "work" but burn out some irreplaceable components within a few minutes.

However, if you're technically-minded and willing to do some reading, it will almost certainly be an easy fix and will continue to work indefinitely.

Condition is all-important in terms of value, more so to us than whether it works or not. In fact, vintage radio enthusiasts almost always prefer an "as-is" set to one that's been "fixed-up". However, 1950s sets are plentiful. £25 or so might be reasonable if it's in good cosmetic condition, more in an "antiques-centre", less here (because most of us already have more radios than we need!).

N.
Old 30th Jan 2018, 10:22 am   #4
Radio Tech
Nonode

I agree with both Nick and (Herald) Chris,

and always check the set out before you ever consider pushing the mains through it, I would advise that if you have a circuit diagram, mark off each component as you replace it, that way you will not get lost or forget where you got to. It's mainly the coupling caps that couple each stage and those smoothing caps that will need attention, try Jellyfish Audio for your caps.

Best wishes

Ken
Old 30th Jan 2018, 11:04 am   #5
ukcol
Rest in Peace

The service information for the Marconi T32A mentioned by Nick is available to download here :

http://www.service-data.com/section.php/4685/1/t32a
Closed Thread