UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2021, 1:17 pm   #1
alan st
Diode

Default Tandberg 3300x

Hi I have got my tandberg to record but it only records if I keep my finger pressed down on the red record button. When I let go it stops. Can anyone help please.
Thanks Alan
Old 13th Feb 2021, 3:04 pm   #2
Tim
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg 3300x

Is there a plug for a remote control on this one? May need a plug with link between appropriate pins.
Old 14th Feb 2021, 12:29 pm   #3
alan st
Diode

I don't think so it didn't do this before. I unscrewed the surface covers to get to the works and disconnected the record button and when I put it all back together the record button wouldn't stay on unless I held it down.
Old 14th Feb 2021, 1:05 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Alan is this the same for both the left and the right recording buttons ?

David
Old 14th Feb 2021, 3:08 pm   #5
Michael Maurice

I think these are mechanically locked to the joystick.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 14th Feb 2021, 3:54 pm   #6
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes I think you have to press down and hold the Record button (s) then pulling forward the Joystick to the Play position will mechanically interlock the button (s) in their down position.

I have just just tried it on my 6000X Series Tandberg (which should have very similar arrangement) and strangely the buttons will not not lock down, either I am doing something silly or have a similar problem.

David
Old 14th Feb 2021, 5:59 pm   #7
DMcMahon
Dekatron

On my 6000 I can see why the record buttons are not locking down when the Joystick is moved to the Play position. There is a metal plate that should move/slide upwards when the Joystick is moved, this plate locks the buttons.

In photo 1 I have manually moved the plate up to lock the buttons, there is something missing on mine (maybe a spring) that should somehow connect to the actuator arm that moves the Pinch Wheel to the capstan shaft. Additionally on mine the actuator arm does not move back when the Joystick is returned to the off position, once again a missing spring I think.

The missing spring (s) may possibly (I hope) be in a component storage box from when I was doing some stripping down to investigate very stiff Joystick operation quite some time ago.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	226717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	226718  
Old 14th Feb 2021, 6:06 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I can see the missing spring that I think will explain both my problems in the photo in Post 1 of the linked Thread.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=163737
Old 14th Feb 2021, 10:36 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

First pass of searching through numerous storage boxes has not located the missing spring but also not found are various other parts off the 6000X like the control knobs, so hopefully all the parts will be some where safe all together.
Old 15th Feb 2021, 12:10 pm   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Found and fitted the spring which fixed both my issues. Without the spring the metal actuator sliding up movement was stiff due to gummed up old grease, so cleaned and re-lubed.

The plastic sleeve on the spring just rests against/under the post on the actuator bracket and when the Joystick is moved to Play, the spring just moves the actuator up and locks the record switch (s) either in the down position if switch is pressed or in the up position if switch is not pressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210215_100515810.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	226797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ulocked position.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	226798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Locked position.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	226799  
Old 19th Feb 2021, 6:39 am   #11
ricard
Octode

Note that the 3300X is different from older machines such as the 6000X, 3000X or 1600X in that the record/play switches (labeled "REC SELECT", below the meters) are toggle switches with no mechanical linkage elsewhere, and the actual record button s to the left of the head cover, and being of the same type as the push buttons on the logic controlled 9xxxX or 10X(D) series.

The behavior is thus similar to the logic controlled machines: one first selects the appropriate channel(s) to record using the Rec Select buttons, then engage the actual record function, on this machine by pressing the Record button while engaging the joystick to actually start the recording.

I haven't used my 3300X in quite some time; I seem to remember the Record button not mechanically latching and instead there being a lamp in it to indicate the record function. Looking at the schematics now I can't find a Record lamp, and no electrical latching mechanism (such as a mechanical relay or logic flip-flop) so I guess I'm mistaken in this regard.

Indeed, looking at various Youtube videos and again perusing the schematics, it looks like the record button does mechanically latch (but the movement, as it is the same design as the transport control buttons on the logic controlled machines, is rather slight, so not a very good indicator), and the record function is indicated by the appropriate meter(s) lighting up, similar to older machines. (In contrast, on the logic controlled machines, the meters light up directly when the appropriate Rec Select button(s) are pressed, and also always in playback mode).

Last edited by ricard; 19th Feb 2021 at 6:58 am. Reason: Had a look at the schematics plus some Youtube videos
Closed Thread