UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2012, 6:43 pm   #1
Adjuster
Retired Dormant Member

Default Decca TR22 Dial Scale

Decca TR22 Dial Scale

I would very much like to find a scan of a Decca TR22 scale "glass" (apparently this is made of Perspex). Any ideas on where this might be found would be appreciated.

The scale on my set is marked " CELLGRAVE " at the extreme upper left, and at the extreme upper right " No 59730 IF 472 Kc/s ".

As far as I can see from looking at the "Sticky" and searching on the forum, none has been uploaded here (humble apologies if I've missed it).

Last edited by Adjuster; 1st Jun 2012 at 6:45 pm. Reason: To fix a typo.
Old 1st Jun 2012, 7:05 pm   #2
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Re: Decca TR22 Dial Scale

Do You Mean TP22?
John.
Old 1st Jun 2012, 10:33 pm   #3
Adjuster
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Do You Mean TP22?
John.
Yes, that's right - my mistake! I mean a set like the one shown here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/decca_tp22tp_2.html
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 2:59 pm   #4
davidgem1406
Heptode

Thumbs up Re: Decca TR22 Dial Scale

I had one of these i was going to refurbish but in the end I scrapped the cabinet as it was in such a poor condition. The tuning scale was absolutely filthy and I washed it. unfortunately a large amount of the background color just washed away, but most of the text was left behind, I was going to remake it up to the point of scrapping the cabinet.

I did in fact keep the tuning scale and still have it, if its any good and will help I can scan it to produce a 1:1 image, or you can have it.
I believe I also kept the chassis as it was working, and that's hiding away somewhere here.

Dave
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 6:03 pm   #5
Adjuster
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgem1406 View Post
I had one of these i was going to refurbish but in the end I scrapped the cabinet as it was in such a poor condition. The tuning scale was absolutely filthy and I washed it. unfortunately a large amount of the background color just washed away, but most of the text was left behind, I was going to remake it up to the point of scrapping the cabinet.

I did in fact keep the tuning scale and still have it, if its any good and will help I can scan it to produce a 1:1 image, or you can have it.
I believe I also kept the chassis as it was working, and that's hiding away somewhere here.

Dave
I would be very interested in any bits you may have as my set was affected by dampness which has damaged several areas- including the loudspeaker (completely dead) and possibly some coils. Could you perhaps PM me with details of location and maybe what you might want in exchange for them?

As for my cabinet, it is never going to be very pretty: I am seriously contemplating reinforcing its disintegrating bottom... with some bits of Meccano!

George
Old 2nd Jun 2012, 7:13 pm   #6
davidgem1406
Heptode

Hi George,

My location is showing at each post I make, just not the address.

I will have to check and see what I have and where it might be, but cant be hiding far away. Will let you know when found.

Dave
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 12:32 am   #7
Adjuster
Retired Dormant Member

I can be pretty slow on the uptake sometimes! I would be very grateful to get the chassis, as I am starting to suspect that it may be pretty far gone from dampness - particularly that some coils may have suffered. It is also full of little black capacitors which are physically falling apart.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 3rd Jun 2012 at 1:01 pm. Reason: Quote removed.
Old 3rd Jun 2012, 4:16 pm   #8
davidgem1406
Heptode

Hi George,

I have located the chassis and it is complete except the battery connections and wires. It does have some rust at both rear sides where batteries have leaked at some time and is somewhat dirty. If I were going to refurbish it I would strip it and paint it with galvanized silver paint.
It also has the little black Hunts capacitors but these should always be replaced as a matter of routine. All the electrolytic caps would need to be checked as well.

I also have the speaker and some odds and ends from it that I kept, along with the dial glass, tuning pointer and even the drive cord and spring.

I have added pictures, the speaker has been cleaned so don't take any notice of the old dust on it.

They are all your if you want them.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009-Chassis LH Side.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	67240   Click image for larger version

Name:	010-Chassis Top.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	67241   Click image for larger version

Name:	011-Chassis Underside.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	67242   Click image for larger version

Name:	012-Speaker.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	67243  
Old 5th Jun 2012, 10:25 am   #9
Adjuster
Retired Dormant Member

I would be very glad to have them: we must come to a fair agreement about that - PM me. Unfortunately I am down with some bug or other just now so I probably won't be able to do anything about it for a few days.

Regards & thanks, George
Old 5th Jun 2012, 8:10 pm   #10
davidgem1406
Heptode

Hi George,

Sorry to hear that, PM me when you are feeling better.

They are yours for the P&P to get them to you. (Don't know what that will be at the moment)

Dave
Closed Thread