UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Aug 2018, 9:17 am   #1
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Mains lead connector identification

Does anyone know of any websites that show pictures and perhaps dimensions of the many equipment connectors that have been used in the past? It would be a handy reference when trying to find an elusive connector.

Earlier in the thread reference was made to Maplin and others selling a wide range of these leads. Does anyone have old catalogues that could be scanned?

Al
Old 29th Aug 2018, 9:31 am   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Mains Lead

At one point Maplin sold a range of leads with names like 'Cassette Lead Sony' (that 4 pin square-ish one), 'Cassette Lead Philips' (that odd large figure-of-8 with 2 flat pins in different orientations) etc. I think they were that connector moulded onto a length of 2 core cable, bare ends at the other end.

The only documentation in the catalogue was a line drawing (possibly actual size) of the face of the connector. I should still have the catalogue on my shelf, I can scan the appropriate bit of the page if people think it would be useful.
Old 29th Aug 2018, 11:18 am   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

Will this help?
http://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Overview.html
Old 29th Aug 2018, 3:24 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think that site is for the various types of plugs and sockets fitted to walls, etc. I am talking about the fixed plug/cable mounted socket used for the mains input on cassette recorders, radios, etc.
Old 29th Aug 2018, 3:58 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I've gone through my old Maplin catalogues and scanned the appropriate pages of the one with the most mains leads shown (all the others had a subset of those). I've attached the scan (I hope). I think the 'Telefunken' one is the modern 'Figure of 8' one to give you some idea of the size
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Old_Maplin_Cassette_Mains_Leads.pdf (404.3 KB, 340 views)
Old 29th Aug 2018, 4:57 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I think that site is for the various types of plugs and sockets fitted to walls, etc. I am talking about the fixed plug/cable mounted socket used for the mains input on cassette recorders, radios, etc.
Look under appliance couplers.
There are quite a few shown.
Old 29th Aug 2018, 10:39 pm   #7
Alistair D
Nonode

Default Re: Mains lead connector identification

Thank you both. That is an excellent start. I will keep searching to see what else turns up.

Al
Old 30th Aug 2018, 11:12 am   #8
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I think the record player referred to by Vinyljeff in post #1 of this wanted thread

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=148756

is the 'Waltham' Standard Mains/Battery Record Player, which was made in Ireland in the early to mid 1960s. If so, the lead/connector mentioned in the Monacor link should fit it.
Old 30th Aug 2018, 1:07 pm   #9
terrykc
Rest in Peace

A common TV connector was the female half of a 5A 2-pin flex connector. Bush had a variant which very squared up and had the flex entry at right angles, but it was still a 5A 2-pin flex connector!

One variant was a polarised version with one standard pin and one thin one but, on the bench, we just used a normal flex connector and a matchstick!

Philips used a flat pin connector, not unlike the US connector but with the pins angled' like those used in China and Australia.
Old 5th Oct 2018, 2:27 pm   #10
Alistair D
Nonode

Terry, got data on those 3 now. Thanks.

So far I have amassed info on over 150 'appliance' connectors with varying amounts of data on each, but at least there are links to pictures of most of them. The 150 covers both mains and DC power applications.

I have run into a bit of a brick wall with the Jones and Painton series of plugs and sockets. There seems to be cofusion about which is which. This is complicated even further by references to a 'minature' Jones series. The links below explain the confusion better than I can.

https://www.belfuse.com/product-deta...ch-jones-plugs
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=138553
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=111661

So far I have been unable to track down a spec sheet or dimensional drawing of the original series as used on T1154/R1155 etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? A second option would be that someone has an original plug that they could measure the blade length, width, thickness, distance between blade centres and distace between rows.

Any help appreciated.

Al