UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2013, 7:03 pm   #1
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Smile Tektronix competition

Has anyone else heard of the Tek competition, ' oldest working Tek scope wins a new one' ! USA excluded. So, if this is correct, it could be well worthwhile having a rummage in the roundtuit pile! The oldest fully working one I have is a Tek 453, but there should be some good valve Tek scopes in good fettle under some member's benches!
Bill
Old 18th Dec 2013, 8:22 pm   #2
n_r_muir
Hexode

Default Re: Tektronix competition

Hi,

I can't say that I have ever heard of that particular competition but my entry would be a 502A which dates back to the early 1960's.

Ross
Old 18th Dec 2013, 9:11 pm   #3
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Its mentioned on the Yahoo tekscopes group forum. Anyone interested who has a Tek scope should check it out.
Ross, that's a nice thing, I wonder how many older models there are in this country, in good working order.
Bill
Old 19th Dec 2013, 10:10 pm   #4
gingpeakin
Hexode

You can find it at

http://uk.tek.com/oldestscope

I put my 535 from 1954 in - here's hoping for a nice Christmas present...

Ging
Old 20th Dec 2013, 3:55 pm   #5
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Someone on here might just have a 511stashed away that could very well win it. The 511 was the first commercial scope released by Tek as far as I'm aware, post WW2 and obviously valve.
Bill
Old 20th Dec 2013, 4:56 pm   #6
mark-jacobs
Triode

One small wrinkle is proof of ownership, so one would assume you are the original owner and/or kept your purchase receipt. "Entrants may be required to provide proof of ownership, plus photographic proof of serial number and that the qualifying oscilloscope is in working order."
Old 22nd Dec 2013, 10:05 am   #7
Radio Wrangler

That doesn't specify being the first owner. I think they're only wanting to eliminate any charlatan with photos of someone else's scope.

I suspect that vanishingly few early Tek scopes were sold to private individuals. They will have all gone to firms doing difficult development who needed them and had to pay the higher prices than their usual instruments cost.

Nowadays, I suspect there are very few of those original purchasers still with the original scopes. Tek want some raw material for some good advertising so they need someone to succeed, and they want a shot at the earliest scope, not just the earliest one with continuous paperwork.

I remember how pleased HP was when we heard that a model 45 calculator had been through a snow-blower by accident and still worked.

David
Old 25th Dec 2013, 4:00 pm   #8
6AL5W-Martin
Hexode

hm, oldest may be 511, 516, the greatfully 517 and 524d

I don`t have one of them. If they would ask for a vintage Tek with a very early serial number, yes, there is one,
the 585A No15 from Heerenveen, NL

greetings and mery christmas

Martin

http://www.wellenkino.de <- a home of old scopes

the christmas picture

Last edited by 6AL5W-Martin; 25th Dec 2013 at 4:21 pm.
Closed Thread