UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Mar 2009, 9:49 am   #1
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default 1931 Gec

I picked this set up at Harpenden recently for £70 . It was described as working ,had had some worm and two knobs were wrong otherwise in very good condition .Sunday I took it apart and cleaned it up . The chassis is completely orginal and as far as I can see other than maybe valves the set has never had any work at all . It works very well indeed ,the tuning takes a little getting used to with two tuning knobs reaction and vol control ,and needs tweeking to get the nicest sound! quite bassy sound from the moving iron speaker which is surprising . The cone has a leather suspension all round which is very delecate I found out ! although not perished . I buffed up the cabinet with wax and replaced the grill cloth ,using a remnant of the original to patch the rear panal .Alls well so far and its had plenty of use ,could do with two original knobs if I could find any ! though I dont think I would like it to use regularily if I wanted more than one station /chanel. Fixed to R4 is fine though .Im amazed its never been touched /repaired , Underside it certainlygot that 20s type componant look , presumably the componants are much better made than later ones . I do get a slight rustling every now and then but otherwise its perfect . Interesting to note is the tuning caps , not normal at all !!
Interesting note .The mains lead connector has been designed with an earth conection which is certainly unuseual for any appliance of this period.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1931 GEC radio 010.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	23719   Click image for larger version

Name:	1931 GEC radio 003.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	23720   Click image for larger version

Name:	1931 GEC radio 007.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	23721  

Last edited by chipp1968; 10th Mar 2009 at 9:57 am.
Old 10th Mar 2009, 9:54 am   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: 1931 Gec

Well done Chipp,

That is just fabulous

Howard
Old 10th Mar 2009, 12:40 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Howard's said all that needs saying, Paul

You've done an incredible job with the cabinet, and I love the styling.

Do you have any "before" photos?

You got a bargain there for £70.

Nick.
Old 10th Mar 2009, 1:19 pm   #4
batterymaker1
Heptode

Cabinet's in beautiful condition, considering its age. Also like the art deco fretwork on the speaker grille.
Old 10th Mar 2009, 2:38 pm   #5
Radio_Dave
Nonode

That's a really attractive radio and in great condition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp1968 View Post
could do with two original knobs if I could find any !
Are the remaining knobs the same as the missing ones? If so, personally, I have to get a pair replicated by Wim Jaeger in Holland

Regards
David
Old 10th Mar 2009, 7:31 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Thanks .I really like this radio and have grown fond of it already .Inside pics are before cleaning ! There is a pic of before cabinet cleaning, but it doesnt look much different in it except cloth . In reality though the worm showed up and there were general patches all now blended in and nice and shiny .I got rid of a white bloom on the top with t cut . As with early sets , using the Pickup needs external volume control , strangely I found it works with just one lead connected to pickup . using a digi radio .
David .Didnt quite understand that , are you having some knobs made ,or saying its a possibility fo me to do ? There are three remaining knobs . The replacements are different but look ok . The arangement is that there are extention shafts which are accessed through holes in bot of cabinet .The knobs are glued? onto splined ends of the shafts .

Last edited by chipp1968; 10th Mar 2009 at 7:37 pm.
Old 10th Mar 2009, 7:58 pm   #7
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Chipp,

Sorry for the confusion, If you have an original example of the missing knobs then you could send it to Wim Jaeger and he'll use it to make you replicas. I've used him in the past and I've been very happy with the results. Some pictures of his work and contact details can be found at the bottom of this page http://www.valve.demon.co.uk/Wanted.htm

Regards
David
Old 10th Mar 2009, 9:15 pm   #8
Ian B
Hexode

A lovely set Chipp, and obviously built like a battleship, well done.

It's worth having a look at radio swapmeets for replacement knobs, it's surprising how often you can find a 1930s knob among loads of 50s ones if you're patient. Of course there are exceptions to this: Ekco spring to mind!

Ian Blackbourn
Old 10th Mar 2009, 10:12 pm   #9
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Well done Paul, that really is an old one, one of the first 'proper' radios

Peter.
Old 10th Mar 2009, 10:16 pm   #10
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Thanks David ,I may do that , though I dont mind the wrong ones , It would be best with correct ones . I cant imagine these appearing often due to the odd fixed shaft arrangement . What I supect happend is that they worked loose and got lost . I had a rummage in the knob boxes at Harp .. I came accross a pre war HMV/marconi? Tv knob which must be like hens teeth , Its still there... no good to me .cant remember what was marked on it now .But I couldnt find what I wanted
Thanks Peter , yes its pretty early , Quite why they used the strange tuning arrangement though ? I suppose it was end of the line of that sort of thing ,and single knob tuning comming in .Saying that I think the smaler Bakalite ekco M23 has concentric tuning knob which sortof does the same job , but I may be wrong .Another odd thing on this set is . Two aeriel sockets , If the upper one is used ,the vol knob is bypassed andonly the reaction works .In lower socket both work . I would have thought this a fault but was told this when i purchased it . Probably manual selectivity ,something to do with local station strength etc ?

Last edited by chipp1968; 10th Mar 2009 at 10:28 pm.
Closed Thread