UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2019, 6:29 pm   #1
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Keracolor project.

Hi all, I have owned a Keracolor 26" fitted with the Decca 30 Chassis for some years now. I bought it because I used to repair one in the late 1970's for a used car lot owner. The set was miles out of town in a dark corner of a thatched house and as they all are not that easy to work on in situ.
Even when the set got very old and started to break down more often he refused to replace it saying that he "Ad bought it from 'Arrods and it 'ad cost a blo@dy fortune".

When I saw one for a reasonable price fairly local to me a few years ago I decided to buy it. It lives in my dining room and of all the radios and TV sets in my collection it is the one that is most commented on by visitors!
Earlier this year I saw an empty Keracolor portable case for sale, it had been completely stripped out. With it came a four button varicap tuner push button bank and a loop aerial.

I am not sure if it has ever had a set inside it, the tube mounting brackets are undrilled and there are no mounting points for any of the controls.

In the same sale were various full size cases three appeared to be stripped out original sets and others appeared to be flimsy plastic modern reproductions that had never been fitted with internals. I guess someone was going to put the set back into production and aborted the project.

I don't think my case is a reproduction though as it has yellowed a bit and there are signs of attempts having been made to polish it up.

I have never seen one of the Monochrome portables only a picture of one from a brochure on line.

I assume (and hope) that Keracolor used the Decca Gypsy as a donor for the Kera-Mono so I put a wanted request on here for a suitable set.
Graham (Llama of this forum) answered my request and on Saturday I took delivery of a Decca Gypsy portable that I hope will provide the suitable parts to rebuild my set.
The Decca had been converted to display Lissajous figures in the past so my first job was to remove the conversion and get it working as a TV set again.

This was fairly straightforward and I now have a working donor!

The sound is low and distorted but other than that it works well, so the next job will be to sort the sound then sort out the finish on the Keracolor case once that is done the rebuild can start.

This may involve the use of Meccano and a glue gun....
Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190618-WA0006.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	185316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190618-WA0004.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	185317   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190618-WA0005.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	185318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190618-WA0000.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	185319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20190618-WA0002.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	185320  

Last edited by slidertogrid; 18th Jun 2019 at 6:39 pm.
Closed Thread